Firefox 58.0.1 will not open from Hyperlinks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jbeidl

Firefox 58.0.1 will not open from Hyperlinks

Post by jbeidl »

When I launched Firefox this morning a new version (58.0.1) was installed. Hyperlinks from Thunderbird no longer open a Firefox Window or Tab. Also the Amazon shortcut on my Taskbar (Windows 10) will not open a Firefox Window or Tab.

Verified default browser was Firefox. Changing default browser to Chrome allows hyperlinks to work. Changed back to Firefox default and hyperlinks no longer work.

Is the a setting in Firefox 59.0.1 to enable/disable hyperlink opening?

John
allande

Re: Firefox 58.0.1 will not open from Hyperlinks

Post by allande »

See here or here for more discussion: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1165549 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1195610

Firefox recently (on release of Firefox 56) upgraded users who were on 32-bit to 64-bit, when it did so on many systems it would put the 64-bit browser in program files (x86) -the 32-bit directory. Try this - download the full installer of Firefox 58.0.1. Uninstall Firefox. Set the default browser to any browser other than Firefox (in the control panel). Optionally, check in program files and program files (x86) to make sure Mozilla Firefox directory is gone from both of them. Then install Firefox, and set it to be default browser.

If that does not work, uninstall Firefox again, and reinstall it, choosing custom and manually putting it in program files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox , or in program files\Mozilla Firefox - put it in whichever is the one it was NOT in a minute ago.
jbeidl

Post by jbeidl »

Thanks allande, that fixed my problem.

John
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

when it did so on many systems it would put the 64-bit browser in program files (x86) -the 32-bit directory.
and thats the only reason in such cases to avoid problems like this - fixed links anywhere to start firefox. should not happen!
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

allande wrote:See here or here for more discussion: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1165549 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1195610

Firefox recently (on release of Firefox 56) upgraded users who were on 32-bit to 64-bit, when it did so on many systems it would put the 64-bit browser in program files (x86) -the 32-bit directory. Try this - download the full installer of Firefox 58.0.1. Uninstall Firefox. Set the default browser to any browser other than Firefox (in the control panel). Optionally, check in program files and program files (x86) to make sure Mozilla Firefox directory is gone from both of them. Then install Firefox, and set it to be default browser.

If that does not work, uninstall Firefox again, and reinstall it, choosing custom and manually putting it in program files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox , or in program files\Mozilla Firefox - put it in whichever is the one it was NOT in a minute ago.
Sorry, but I am confused after reading above message... My hyperlink doesn't work (link not underlined). Up until version 57 it opened fine. But not any more. It makes it very inconvenient.
Can you please explain again - Which directory Program Files or Program Files x86 should be used to reinstall Firefox 58 into to make hyperlinks work!!? I am not deep on that: never khew the difference between them.
P.S.Perhaps I have to open a new thread with my problem.
Many thanks.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it has nothing to do with installation - its a matter of "default browser - or not" -> set firefox as default browser - as you are using windows 7 you dont need to enter system control for this action, only firefox.

the matter you cited (no full quotes please - only parts you refer on - and you dont refer to all !!) is only when updating and mozilla forces 64bit-Windows users from 32-bit to 64-bit - nothing you should cake care about because it is working correct.
allande

Post by allande »

Firefox and all software can run from either. The program files (x86) is generally intended to be used for 32-bit software, and now Firefox 64-bit is what is normal to install. The problem should be fixable by unsetting the default browser and resetting it, or by uninstalling and reinstalling, or by going into the options of a program like an email client and picking a custom path for the default browser you want to use. But sometimes that method is hard to do or just does not work. So, what you are doing instead is install to whichever one the software thought it was looking for. If your links are NOT working, then that means your software is looking in the OTHER place for the browser. So whichever one is not where it is, is where you want to install it to, after uninstalling it.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

Brummelchen wrote:it has nothing to do with installation - its a matter of "default browser - or not" -> set firefox as default browser - as you are using windows 7 you dont need to enter system control for this action, only firefox.
I have Windows 7 and my Firefox IS a default browser.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

allande wrote: The problem should be fixable by unsetting the default browser and resetting it, or by uninstalling and reinstalling,
I unset FF from default browser and reset. There is still no hyperlink. :(
allande

Post by allande »

Yes, it sounds like the original poster tried that also. So continue with the other methods: uninstall Firefox, check that it is gone from both folders, then reinstall. That should work. If it does not, uninstall it again and custom install it to program files (x86).

Also note that the problem we are discussing in this thread is that clicking a link in Thunderbird, other email or chat clients does not open Firefox. If you are having some other problem then we need to get on another track and start from the beginning.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you dont use the parameter "-no-remote" accidentally in your link to firefox?
(firefox.exe -no-remote [...])

this would mean that firefox wont take commands after start.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

Brummelchen wrote:you dont use the parameter "-no-remote" accidentally in your link to firefox?
(firefox.exe -no-remote [...])

this would mean that firefox wont take commands after start.
No I don't use that parameter you are talking about.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

allande wrote:Yes, it sounds like the original poster tried that also. So continue with the other methods: uninstall Firefox, check that it is gone from both folders, then reinstall. That should work. If it does not, uninstall it again and custom install it to program files (x86)
I will do it tomorrow as I am too tired today. Thanks for your help..