Any plans for built-in ad blocking?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tanstaafl

Any plans for built-in ad blocking?

Post by tanstaafl »

According to https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/chrome-adblocker Chrome is going to include built-in support for ad blocking based on the EasyList and EasyPrivacy ad-blocking lists on 15th February 2018. The biggest difference from a ad-blocker add-on is that you would not be able to add your own web sites to the block list. Supposedly you can disable the built-in ad blocking and continue to rely upon a add-on such as ublock origin to block ads.

Has anybody heard of something similar planned for Firefox Quantum?
Brummelchen

Re: Any plans for built-in ad blocking?

Post by Brummelchen »

i wont take this for good. EasyList and EasyPrivacy are sometimes too intrusive on websites and can break them in lot of ways. and i would bet that firefox wont offer some options like uBlock or adblock plus are offering. so at least a bad idea. (opera has also an integrated adblocker but thats a big joke)
in fact those 2 lists are only basics, if some want more he should be able to opt-out when installing another decent adblocker and so this feature become futile.
and another decent adblocker is highly recommended, there is more crap on the run which are not captured from 2 lists, eg the latest fake "firefox need urgent update" pages.

#edit typo
Last edited by Brummelchen on February 4th, 2018, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using the default lists in ublock origin and they don't seem to have ever caused me a problem. The reason why I was asking is a number of friends & relatives that I help with their computer problems will never learn how to install a add-on, let alone tweak its settings.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i had issues with the easylist on waz.de - it do not show the time of article, i had to whitelist it and creaty my own style
.author-social {visibility: visible !important;}
.author-social .socialbar,
.cookie-note:not(body):not(html),
.footer__social,
.google-plus,
.icon--facebook,
.icon--twitter,
.share-button,
.sharrre,
.socialbar,
.OUTBRAIN,
[href^="whatsapp://send?text="],
.content-options,
.block-header.block-header--banner .teaser__img,
.sidebar
those entries are present in easylist/easyprivacy and thats a bit too much.

eg
https://www.waz.de/politik/der-neue-che ... 35755.html
with easylist missing (under the header):
Michael Kohlstadt
26.01.2018 - 17:59 Uhr
( i am not member of that forum to make input)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:The reason why I was asking is a number of friends & relatives that I help with their computer problems will never learn how to install a add-on....
On the face of it that sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Trust me on this, it's not. ](*,)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Brummelchen wrote: (opera has also an integrated adblocker but thats a big joke)
Why? I use Opera as well as Firefox and have no issues with it.