(IMAP) Cannot move message from junk folder to inbox.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
remanance

(IMAP) Cannot move message from junk folder to inbox.

Post by remanance »

Previous suggestions on this subject have not helped. (Message appears in inbox immediately after executing move command but reverts back to junk folder after a few seconds.)
tanstaafl

Re: (IMAP) Cannot move message from junk folder to inbox.

Post by tanstaafl »

What suggestions? You only have two other threads - one about moving messages from the trash folder to the inbox (unclear if solved, you didn't reply to last post) and the other about being unable to delete a folder (solved). Please post a link to the thread or KB article you are referring to so that we know what you already tried.
remanance

Post by remanance »

The unhelpful suggestions were sent by you in response the posting on mozillaZine October 18, 2006. I have had this problem for over a year; I think it may have started when I changed my account setting from POP to IMAP.

Here's a copy of the messages exchanged on mozllaZine :

MozillaZine

Cannot move message from Junk to Inbox?

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

z28melissaGuest

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 1:37 pm

I had a message marked inaccurately as junk. I marked it as Not Junk, then tried to move it to my inbox. It won't budge... I've tried dragging it, and right-clicking>move to>local folders>inbox. Why does this happen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DanRaischModerator
Posts: 118515Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 11:57 pmLocation: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 1:51 pm

How recently have you compacted your message folders? This action is a necessary part of using Thunderbird and other email programs. Messages "deleted" from the Inbox, Sent, Draft and other folders or moved from one folder to another are not really removed from the original folder (file) until that folder is compacted. See this URL for additional information on the subject - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

[To compact the Inbox, its best to be offline. (File->Offline->Work Offline). This is due to the potential for file corruption if messages are received automatically while compacting is in progress. Click on the Inbox folder title in the folder pane and then right click. In the resulting context menu select "Compact this folder".]

Also see this URL - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

z28melissaGuest

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I've only been using Thunderbird for about a week, have probably less than a dozen emails in each folder... and this is the first time I've tried moving a message from Junk to Inbox. I'll give the compression thing a shot, it seems weird though.

DanRaischModerator
Posts: 118515Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 11:57 pmLocation: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Did you import messages from a previous email client? If you did, compacting (not compression) will still be a possible solution. It's not the number of messages currently in the folder(s) that determines the need to compact. It's the number of messages that have been in the folder and then deleted or moved that makes the difference.

z28melissaGuest

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Oh I see... yes I did import from outlook, and then deleted probably hundreds of messages after that.
I did the compacting on all folders, and that worked. Thank you!

DanRaischModerator

Post Posted October 18th, 2006, 10:36 pm

You're welcome.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm tanstaafl, not DanRaisch. I think you were copying the content of Cannot move message from Junk to Inbox?

I'm puzzled that you chose advice from 12 years ago given to somebody else (who probably had a POP account), and expected us to know that is what you were referring to. However, compacting the folder is a good first step for many mysterious problems with folders.

Does the same problem occur if you do the same thing (move message from junk to inbox) using webmail (browser based)? It's not clear yet whether the problem is with Thunderbird or your email provider.

Can you move the message from the junk folder to some other folder than the inbox? I realize that's not where you want to keep it, but its useful to know this while trying to troubleshoot whats going on.
remanance

Post by remanance »

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for my confusion about the identity of the moderator.
I experienced the same problem when attempting the move in webmail Also, the problem occurs only when junk is the source folder
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Sounds like there is something wrong with the junk folder on the server. You can specify a different junk folder in Thunderbird but its nice to use the same folder in both the email client and webmail. I suggest you see if the webmail settings let you specify a different junk folder.

I suggest you also contact your email provider and ask them to help you solve a problem with the junk mail folder in webmail (don't even mention it also occurs with your email client). If your email provider has a support forum it might be worth searching it to see if you are the only one with problems with a junk folder before you ask for help.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

[quote="remanance"]Previous suggestions on this subject have not helped. (Message appears in inbox immediately after executing move command but reverts back to junk folder after a few seconds.)[/quote]
Since I'm jumping in where I don't know much. Have you tried uninstalling Tb and going to the web site for a fresh install? I found that when I had kept the .exe on my PC and did an uninstall and install from my saved file, it didn't work as well as going online for a fresh install. In either case, no settings or messages were lost. The uninstall does not affect what Tb has stored.