videos on facebook work on chrome but not in firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pentaxk3user

videos on facebook work on chrome but not in firefox

Post by pentaxk3user »

Hi no videos will play in facebook when I use firefox but they work in chrome . what do I need to do to make videos play from facebook in firefox ? I have a vista computer. Firefox is up to date . youtube videos will play in firefox . The only place videos will not play is in facebook in firefox .

I did the reset and opened ff in safe mode and still the video's in facebook will not play . I deleted fire fox from the computer along with the Maintenance service hoping that would give me a fresh start ,but when I installed fire fox and started it back up everything was the same even the history did not change .
A message was at the bottom about a refresh so I did the refresh . After all that I went back into facebook and it still won't play any videos in facebook . I then did a restart of the computer and started firefox I then typed in facebook on the google page . I though since I have never saved my facebook pass word I would have to enter my password but fire fox started facebook up . Still no video playing in facebook .

I logged out of facebook and then back in and still no videos will play . The videos don't give any type of message ,once I click on the play arrow it goes black and you see a white thing going in a small circle for only a few turns and then it goes back to the photo of the video with the start arrow . Its as if its thinking about it but decides not to play the video .

I tried shutting down antivirus but firefox still won't let facebook video play .I then cleared all history and deleted both the maintenance service along with firefox 52.6.0 again . and it rebooted my computer . I once again installed firefox . I put in my pass word to open facebook and tried another video and it still won't start a video . Its doing the same thing .
At the bottom once again the Looks like you've reinstalled firefox. Want us to clean it up for a fresh,like-new experience? So I clicked the refresh firefox again . Once it stared up again I went back into facebook and still it won't play any videos .

While firefox was still running I thought I would open Chrome at the same time and open facebook their ,sure enough the videos plasyed right away with no problems at all . I did notice something different . In firefox the videos in facebook went to the videos facebook page with out starting the videos on my home page oe news feed page .
In chrome it the video played on the news feed page and didn't switch to another page . Why would firefox make the video in facebook go to another page to view a video and still not start the video ?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 12th, 2018, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing.
allande

Re: videos on facebook work on crome but not in firefox

Post by allande »

Not many people use Vista, and it is possible this issue is only on Vista and not on other operating systems.
I don't know if this will help, but you could try spoofing your user agent - as suggested and explained here, https://msfn.org/board/topic/175591-ena ... nt-1146714
If it doesn't help after closing and reopening the browser, you can undo the spoofing by right clicking on that entry and choosing reset.

Also if you want an easier way to spoof your user agent there are extensions to do so.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... overrider/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/
You can read more of that thread also if you want other options:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/175591-ena ... out-flash/
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

I for got to say that I have another laptop computer and It is running vista also and I am using firefox and facebook works good on it and the videos play just fine . Its only on my Toshiba Qosmio that the videos won't play in facebook and only in firefox . in Chrome on the qosmio it plays the videos right away . I will try what you said after I read how . Thanks for trying to help .
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

I added the overrider and User Agent Switcher and nothing changed . The videos in facebook still won't start up . For some reason when I'm in facebook and using firefox on this vista computer when I click on a video instead of it just playing on the home page it switches the video to the videos home page video post page and it still won't start the video from their . But in Chrome it starts the video in facebook right on the home page like it should . Why is firefox making the video change pages. If it starts the video in chrome on the home page why doesn't firefox ? It's got to be something simple because the videos were playing until the update before last .
therube

Post by therube »

no videos will play in facebook
URLs?
I have another laptop computer and It is running vista also and I am using firefox and facebook works good on it
On your bad computer, as a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if FB videos work?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
allande

Post by allande »

The user agent switcher extensions do not do anything when you just install them. You have to click their options to tell them what to do. I was suggesting to use them to spoof Firefox 57.

Since you are using Firefox 52, the Mozbackup backup utility is compatible with your Firefox. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985211 Since Facebook videos are working on one of your Vista computers and not the other, you might have success if you: make a backup of both computer's profiles. Then, use the profile from the working computer - restore it - on the computer where video doesn't work. That would take care of making sure Firefox settings are what they need to be. The other possible piece of what may be needed are: installed Firefox plugins like the primetime plugin - that one is no longer distributed, so it might have gotten on one computer and not the other. I do not know if Mozbackup copies plugins as part of its backup/restore. The other piece is codecs installed in the operating system.
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

I added a new facebook account and it's doing the same thing it won't play any videos and it switchs from the home page to the videos page before it tries to play it . My firefox setting are the same on both computers . why is firefox making the video switch from my home page to the videos home page before it tries to start but still won't start the videos ? This only happens in firefox If I switch to chrome the videos will play right away an my home page . Maybe if someone could figure out why the video I click on on my ho,me page in facebook switches from my home page to the videos home page it might fix my problem and the videos might play .
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

Okay here is something else I have noticed about the videos . In chrome the facebook videos when you hover the mouse arrow over the video you can see the = and load bar or play bar along with some settings and a volume speaker on the far right . When you click on the play button the video will play , but in firefox when I hover the mouse arrow over the video nothing appears no play video = or play bar no volume control nothing ,but if I click on the big play arrow in the middle of the video it goes off the home page and onto the videos home page and it still won;t play the video from there . Why is it there in chrome and not in firefox ? Why is it that on the same computer that facebook works and plays videos like it should in Chrome but doesn't load or play facebook videos or even display the same options in the video in firefox ? How is that possible ?
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

What codecs installed in the operating system would allow chrome to make facebook work as it should but firefox not ? not only not working right but missing parts of the video to make the video play ? Things I listed above in the last post .
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

Is there another firefox support forum that might be able to figure out why my facebook videos work in Chrome but not in firefox ? And why is it that when I put my mouse arrow over a video start -pause button,the time bar and volume control are missing in firefox but there in chrome ? Is there a phone number I can call to talk to someone that works at firefox ?
allande

Post by allande »

The official Mozilla Firefox support is here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ge ... ty-support It is answered by volunteers, not employees. There is no legitimate phone support, any numbers you find would be a scam. Another unofficial site is https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/ - https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/wiki/support is their guidelines.
James

Post by James »

There is also irc.mozilla.org with channels like #firefox, #sumo, #mozillazine and Mozilla newsgroups

Mozilla does not have the resources to provide the call centres that would be needed to do one on one support of desktop Firefox by phone, chat and or email especially since it would be for free for well a free product. Companies that do have one on on support are generally for paid for products like say some antivirus clients that is not a free version.

As said above any so called Firefox support phone#'s you find on a search engine search results are not endorsed by Mozilla.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/avoid-an ... port-scams

Windows installs of Vista and newer in USA and Canada for example comes with the codecs while N and KN editions of Windows do not come with media-related technologies due to licence reasons. Article is for the N and KN edition of Windows users in mind so it is not needed since you appear to be in NA. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... ox-windows

The codecs are needed for web browsers like Firefox and SeaMonkey on Windows to fully use the HTML5 players. You can what your system with Firefox supports at https://www.youtube.com/html5/ as all checks should ideally be blue. You can also try the test videos at https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

Chrome kind of cheats by coming with codecs to work around the separate need of codecs on Windows.
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

Okay thanks for trying to help me . I will try the official support and do some reading on codecs . It sounds like this is way over my head . I thought maybe I had a setting wrong or something . Every thing was working find till a few updated ago . The only difference in my 2 laptops is the one that works with firefox and facebook is the one that works is 64 bit and the one that won't play videos in firefox is 32 bit .
pentaxk3user

Post by pentaxk3user »

James : I'm looking at my browser console and it has this : cannot play media. No decoders for requested formats . audio/mp4 ,video/mp4 . What does that mean and how do I fix it ?
therube

Post by therube »

Does Vista have the same "codec" issues as XP?
If so, then the "fix" for XP might then also apply to Vista, so give that a try.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript