FF memory keeps growing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

FF memory keeps growing

Post by lovemyfoxy »

FF 52.6 ESR 64 on win 7 64

When I open FF, RAM is about 620MB, normal for me with 34 extensions. In the course of the day, RAM grows to about 3.5 GB. I'm not adding any extensions during the day. If I shut it down and restart it, and it's back to 620 MB. Any clues what could be growing in there? I think it's only recently because I just noticed it this week.

I have another profile for work running concurrently with about 10 extensions, and that one doesn't grow.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: FF memory keeps growing

Post by malliz »

Not exactly rocket science is it? An extension problem and seeing as we don't know what you have installed then we can't help
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then it sounds as though one of those additional 24 extensions may be at fault.

In the problem profile, try disabling one half of the extensions and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable half of the disabled extensions and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I recently identified an issue with Forecastfox (fixed version). The author claims it was fixed in v1.14, but I was still seeing abnormal usage with it. Have that one installed?

And by abnormal, I mean each page load was adding 400 to 500 MB to my memory usage and it was taking quite a while for that memory to be released. It would regularly lock up the browser and the machine.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

malliz wrote:Not exactly rocket science is it? An extension problem and seeing as we don't know what you have installed then we can't help
No, it was not obvious. I've had the same extensions running a long time. How do I make a list?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't think a list will be helpful here unless it includes Forecast Fox. There are too many extensions involved to know which one or combination is involved.
Not intending to offend but follow the thought process here.
One system works with 10 extensions. Another with 34 extensions has problems with memory usage. What's different between the two systems, besides the problem? The answer: Twenty-four extensions.
To determine which of those extension (if any) is the source of trouble, we need to rule out good ones. The half, then half, then half, etc process reduces the number of times required to eliminate candidates. That is the only way to identify the cause, short of creating a new profile and adding the extensions, one at a time, with testing before installing the next one, to find which of the 24 is the culprit.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

There are other differences, number of bookmarks, 1400 to about 100. Probably amount of history saved.

I know the drill. Will check it out, starting with the last updated extension.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

smsmith wrote:I recently identified an issue with Forecastfox (fixed version). The author claims it was fixed in v1.14, but I was still seeing abnormal usage with it. Have that one installed?

And by abnormal, I mean each page load was adding 400 to 500 MB to my memory usage and it was taking quite a while for that memory to be released. It would regularly lock up the browser and the machine.
I use this extension. No issue here.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:
smsmith wrote:I recently identified an issue with Forecastfox (fixed version). The author claims it was fixed in v1.14, but I was still seeing abnormal usage with it. Have that one installed?

I use this extension. No issue here.
The 4.14 build was certainly better, but it was still giving me more of a performance hit that wasn't offset by the value I received from having it installed. I'll come back to it in a couple more versions and see how it's doing. When I reported the issue to him, 1.14 had been released for a while, so I should have been on that version when I discovered what was going on. :shrug:
Last edited by smsmith on February 7th, 2018, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected version number
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Kevin McFarlane

smsmith wrote: The 1.14 build was certainly better, but it was still giving me more of a performance hit that wasn't offset by the value I received from having it installed.
Actually, tbh I may have the problem. I wasn't proactively monitoring memory, it's just that there were no observable side-effects from having the browser open all day. I also have 16GB RAM. I also had a new disk fitted about a week and a half ago, so fairly new Win 10 and Firefox install. When was 4.14 released?

I also have Forecastfox in Opera and both browsers are running at the moment. Both are on about 2 gig. Opera has 3 tabs open, Firefox about 12. I notice that Opera's memory usage has grown over a few hours (I haven't really been using it today). With Firefox it was using more than this. I had 50+ tabs open and then closed a bunch.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are other differences, number of bookmarks, 1400 to about 100. Probably amount of history saved.
Certainly those are differences between the two profiles, but they would not effect memory usage in the way you observed, increasing periodically during a given session.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:When was 4.14 released?
4.14 for Firefox was released on Jan 15, 2018, which was many days after I saw the weird memory usage. I know I had that version installed. I can't comment on how well or not well it works in Opera.
Kevin McFarlane

I've been monitoring both Firefox and Opera over the past couple of hours. Both seem to be reasonably stable in memory, sometimes a bit up, sometimes a bit down. Doesn't mean there's not still an issue with Forecastfox but in my setup it's not noticeably manifest.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

at least - without input from about:support and about:memory its pointless to help out.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Well if Firefox, like other browsers, had a built in Task Manager we'd know wouldn't we...
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.