Copying cookie information from one computer to another

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
COKEDUDE

Copying cookie information from one computer to another

Post by COKEDUDE »

I would like to copy cookie information from one computer to another. So I read that page and that your cookie information is stored in cookies.sqlite file.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/864038

I assumed I could copy the cookies.sqlite from one computer to another and I would have the cookie information. When that didn't work I figured I could copy an entire profile folder. That also did not work. So how can I copy the cookie information from one computer to another?
DanRaisch

Re: Copying cookie information from one computer to another

Post by DanRaisch »

When that didn't work I figured I could copy an entire profile folder. That also did not work.
How were you testing to see if it worked?
From what directory did you copy the profile?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

1) firefox has to be closed
2) the cookies is not deleted
3) the cookie is not bound to a session
4) the cookie is not bound to a machine

i am pretty sure there are more points to mention, even outside stored information (LSO).
if it wont work this way, you have to deal with import/export - maybe with an extension.
or it never would be possible.
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

DanRaisch wrote:
When that didn't work I figured I could copy an entire profile folder. That also did not work.
How were you testing to see if it worked?
From what directory did you copy the profile?
I opened my profile folder on one computer copied the cookies.sqlite the first time, then the profile folder the second time to a flash drive. Used the flash drive on another computer. Copied the cookies.sqlite into the profile I was trying to use. Then after that didn't work I used the profile manager to create a new profile. I didn't want to deal with messing with the profiles.ini file. Then I copied all of the profile information into the profile folder from the flash drive. Neither method worked.
Brummelchen wrote:1) firefox has to be closed
2) the cookies is not deleted
3) the cookie is not bound to a session
4) the cookie is not bound to a machine

i am pretty sure there are more points to mention, even outside stored information (LSO).
if it wont work this way, you have to deal with import/export - maybe with an extension.
or it never would be possible.
1. Firefox was closed.
2-4 So why isn't it working?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You keep saying it didn't work but not telling us how that was demonstrated? What were you expecting to happen that didn't happen? Or what happened that you were not expecting to happen?
therube

Post by therube »

Did you want saved passwords & not necessarily cookies?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

DanRaisch wrote:You keep saying it didn't work but not telling us how that was demonstrated? What were you expecting to happen that didn't happen? Or what happened that you were not expecting to happen?
Its not remembering that I logged into gmail, yahoo, outlook, and many other accounts. I was expecting to be logged into gmail, yahoo, outlook, and many other accounts. I thought that was the purpose of cookies.Thats why whenever you clear your cookies you have log into all of your accounts again.
therube wrote:Did you want saved passwords & not necessarily cookies?
If thats what I need to remain logged into the accounts. But isn't that information stored in your profile folder? I copied the entire profile folder after it did not work with just the cookie files.
therube

Post by therube »

I would think (hope) it not sufficient for a cookie alone to be able to "log you in" to a site.

Related, Saved Logins and Passwords not working.

I copied the entire profile folder after it did not work with just the cookie files.
I would expect that to work.
Are you saying that it did work?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I logged into gmail, yahoo, outlook, and many other accounts
session based, firefox closed -> session over -> game over.

#edit, not quote, thx@mod
therube

Post by therube »

Actually some may persist a "session".
Yes, some do.
Though possible (not sure) that that may only apply if you restore your previous (FF) session (as the Session Store does store cookies...).
And some do not need that (Session Restore) either.