Issues with thunderbird tags. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
r0xana

Issues with thunderbird tags. [Mac.]

Post by r0xana »

Hi all,
I am experiencing problems with Thunderbird.
We normally use tags to mark the emails we need to reply or job applications etc. Yesterday I open thunderbird as usual and all the tags except for the default ones have disappear. My colleague (we obviously both use thunderbird and our emails and tags have been synchronized until yesterday) doesn't have this problem. We have no problems in read/unread emails, it's just that our tags don't communicate anymore.
Also, to partially solve the problem yesterday I have created a new "to do" tag and I marked some emails. When I launched thunderbird today, they have disappeared already. We receive tons of emails everyday and this is a huge problem.
Please help!
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 8th, 2018, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the title.
DanRaisch

Re: Issues with thunderbird tags. [Mac.]

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Who is the email provider?
r0xana

Post by r0xana »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Who is the email provider?
Thank you. Our accounts are set up as IMAP. Our provider is gmail. I am now 70% sure my bosses messed up the settings, I am no good at thunderbird but they are an absolute disaster, do you think it's possible they have messed it up?
Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't speak to that possibility but it is possible that the issue is that Gmail is not retaining the tags when the messages are stored on their servers.
ichthyosaurus

Post by ichthyosaurus »

I am having the same problem. Custom tags don't stick. They'd disappear as soon as the account gets synced with the server (IMAP, register.com email).

EDIT: Actually, both the default and the custom tags disappear...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags#IMAP for how to test whether your IMAP server supports storing tags. If it doesn't they are stored in the folders *.msf file. It sounds like the tags stored in the *.msf file are deleted when you synch with the IMAP server. I haven't heard of them being deleted as a side effect of synching before.

What version of Thunderbird (68.2.2 or 60.9.1) are you using?
ichthyosaurus

Post by ichthyosaurus »

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

The TB version is 60.9.1 (32-bit).

I'm on Win10 though, just noticed the topic is about Mac...