Open containing folder - opens wrong program (Linux) SOLVED

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nettkrawler

Open containing folder - opens wrong program (Linux) SOLVED

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi forum.

Using Linux Lite x64. After installing a program called QDirStat, every time after I have downloaded a file and click the "Open Containing Folder", the folder opens in QDirStat - not Thunar as it is supposed to.

This problem is only experienced using Firefox.

Anyone know what I can do to get Thunar open folders ?

Have tried the solution suggested here, but there is no entry called "file":
http://i.share.pho.to/46148142_o.png
Last edited by Nettkrawler on February 10th, 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grumpus

Re: Open containing folder - opens wrong program

Post by Grumpus »

Sounds more of a system thing.
Go into Thunar and see if doing a single right click gives a drop down with choices to open the file with another application.
See what the single software is at the top, this is usually the default, there may be several.
You can change this by using the option "Open with other application"
Warning: if you do not want the change to become the default make sure to un-check the "use this software all the time" option. May be stated differently.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
smsmith

Re: Open containing folder - opens wrong program (Linux)

Post by smsmith »

Your system thinks Qdirstat is the default file browser. You'll need to remind the system to use Thunar for that. You could also look in about:config in Firefox and search for QDirStat. List the preference name and what it is set to for whatever preference you may find to see how it should be changed.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi folks, thanks for answers.

I don't say it is not a system thing (I'm just not tech/geek enough to figure that out) - but as said in first post, the issue seems to be limited to only Firefox. Tried to use Chromium for download, it also offer to open the target folder from within the browser - and it make Thunar to open.

The "Open with other application" is not accessible after right clicking on a folder icon. However at the bottom of the right-click.menu there is some option:
Create Archive, Oper Terminal here, Task manager, Screenshot, Open as administrator, Search here, Properties.
That's it.

The right-click-menu for any file that is NOT a folder, there is also this sub-menu "Open wit other application". And it opens a window with a list that counts probably more than hundred items. QDirStat is one of the items, but located way down on the list.

I have tried to search for Qdirstat in preferences (about:config) but nothing found.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

What preferences do you get if you search for shell in about:config?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Qdirstat appears to be a sniffer based on WinDirStat which does not appear in the repositories.
WinDirStat
Windows: SpaceSniffer For Linux/Unix: KDirStat, which inspired WinDirStat; QDirStat, based on KDirStat; GdMap For macOS: Disk Inventory X, inspired by WinDirStat;
Seems to me to be a system level stand alone program.
Might be good to see the date of the latest release and compatibility plus visit the sites at the bottom of the above wiki link.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

smsmith wrote:What preferences do you get if you search for shell in about:config?
This - apparently nothing that raise eyebrowes
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Why are you trying to map disk space through Firefox?
Is it to see what Firefox is using on the disk?
Also there are a number of other programs which may be more current in the repositories which do the same thing or more.
Some have the ability to do any number of utility functions like remove duplicates, clear and wipe unused disk space, etc.
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Grumpus wrote:Why are you trying to map disk space through Firefox?
I'm not, why do you think that?
Grumpus wrote:Also there are a number of other programs which may be more current in the repositories which do the same thing or more.
Some have the ability to do any number of utility functions like remove duplicates, clear and wipe unused disk space, etc.
QDirStat 1.4 seems to be a fairly good choice.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Why?, your original post seemed to indicate you wanted to open a folder and you got QDirStat instead of Thunar and somehow Firefox was involved.
QDirStat as per the wiki doesn't look like it's been updated or cared for since 2007 and is a disk usage analyzer and mapper.
You might try and remove QDirStat and see if one of the other programs: (I made a list of usual suspects)
agedu; bleachbit; fslint; gdmap; K4dirstat (I suspect this may be a branch); Kdf;Parted; and the ever present and graphically inclined Baobab.

Are you trying to open a local folder or a folder at a site or on another machine on an Intranet?
If you are trying to open a local folder or one in the / directory it could be a permissions kind of issue or ite could be opening the folder locally using Firefox causes a conflict with QDS having commandeered something it shouldn't have.

Additionally: Went to see where you may have gotten a current version from and there's nothing .
The github site held by Google within the past years has a pic of someone losing their lunch and nothing to do with QDirStat.
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

@Nettkrawler

Take a look at
(Settings ->) MIME Type Editor -> inode/directory (type "inode" in Filter field)
You can choose default application from within "Open Folder with Thunar", "QDirStat", "Choose Application...", "Reset to Default", maybe.
If it is QDirStat, Firefox opens QDirStat. Chromium seems to be not affected by this setting.

(short testing with Lite 3.8, QDirStat 1.4(ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/qdirstat), Firefox 58.0.1, Chromium 64.0.3282.140. "Open Folder with Thunar" has been default even after QDirStat installed...almost always)
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

atlanto wrote:@Nettkrawler

Take a look at
(Settings ->) MIME Type Editor -> inode/directory (type "inode" in Filter field)
You can choose default application from within "Open Folder with Thunar", "QDirStat", "Choose Application...", "Reset to Default", maybe.
If it is QDirStat, Firefox opens QDirStat. Chromium seems to be not affected by this setting.

(short testing with Lite 3.8, QDirStat 1.4(ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/qdirstat), Firefox 58.0.1, Chromium 64.0.3282.140. "Open Folder with Thunar" has been default even after QDirStat installed...almost always)
Thank you very much - that solved the problem :D

I changed two mime-types, inode/directory and inode/mount-point back to Open Folder with Thunar.