Error Message -- Unresponsive script ...places.js

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
StanH

Error Message -- Unresponsive script ...places.js

Post by StanH »

I am using Firefox ESR 52.6.0 and Xmarks v4.4.1 on my Dell T1700 running windows 10 pro 64bit.
While restoring a backup of bookmarks to Firefox I received a message: Unresponsive script ...places.js. I received the same message while downloading bookmarks from Xmarks into Firefox.
I both cases I selected [continue] and the bookmarks continued to transfer successfully.

What is happening and is there a solution?
siffemoz

Re: Error Message -- Unresponsive script ...places.js

Post by siffemoz »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning and https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wa ... ive-script. I've seen that happen a few times when working with bookmarks. Increasing the script timeout to 60 or 90 should prevent it.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Error Message -- Unresponsive script ...places.js

Post by Gingerbread Man »

StanH wrote:What is happening and is there a solution?
  • Too many bookmarks. In the bookmarks manager (Ctrl+Shift+B), type : (the colon symbol) in the search box. Afterwards left-click a bookmark to select it, then press Ctrl+A to select them all. The total bookmark count will be displayed in the lower right pane.
  • Corrupt places.sqlite. While Firefox is closed, move the places.sqlite from your Firefox profile to a safe location like the desktop. When you restart Firefox, all your history will be gone and Firefox should try to automatically restore your most recent bookmark backup. If the latter doesn't happen, restore manually from the bookmarks manager (Ctrl+Shift+B). If the problem still occurs, once again exit Firefox, then replace the newly created places.sqlite file in the profile with the copy from the desktop.
  • Computer too slow. Doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Bug in Firefox. Create a new profile. Copy both the bookmarkbackups folder and the places.sqlite file from your regular profile into that one. Afterwards start the latest Nightly in that new profile and check if the problem occurs when trying to restore the backup. If yes, you can file a new bug report and post the link here so we can see what happens to it. Don't bother filing such a bug report for the ESR branch; it only receives important security and stability patches.