Cannot access Bookmarks...GONE! Help!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
llupica

Cannot access Bookmarks...GONE! Help!

Post by llupica »

Bookmarks were here yesterday, Then today I get the message in the red bar across the top of the screen:
The bookmarks and history system will not be functional because one of Firefox's files is in use by another application. Some security software can cause this problem.

I have tried:
changing places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old
importing bookmarks from google
restoring bookmarks (restore places show up) and get "Unable to process the backup file"
I have uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it.

Now what???
Brummelchen

Re: Cannot access Bookmarks...GONE! Help!

Post by Brummelchen »

Some security software can cause this problem.
and what did you do with this hint?
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Don't know if this will help you -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1188056

Seems the key is to set Windows to an earlier restore point before you fiddle with Firefox, which seems to indicate that something had been updated (Security Software?) that impacted Firefox.

OrthoFan
llupica

Post by llupica »

Brummelchen wrote:
Some security software can cause this problem.
and what did you do with this hint?
I took the hint and I tried a system restore.
That didn't work either.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Try uninstalling using revo uninstaller free and use the advance search and delete everything you find. I would also do a search and see if anything is left behind for firefox and delete that then get a program called advance system care and use the clean and optimize check everything they also have a free version...
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

One way to 'normally' verify whether security software is really messing with your system is to restart your PC into safe mode and at the start of your restart-mode make sure that 'if' Windows displays startup options ... choose the one where it doesn't include security software at the startup.... know what I mean? ... then start Firefox up and see if it makes a diff... whether it works now or not will at least let you know if in fact security software is messing with things.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!