When save webpage

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kevs

When save webpage

Post by kevs »

I often save webpages,
I'm on Mac do save as complete web page.

yet even today openin a saved webpage; I notice I see delay.. says waiting, transferring data... and wait today minute. What waiting for? I thought whole point to save to hardrive a web page, so you just own it. Is it waiting for some other website to ok the page?
MAC USER
Grumpus

Re: When save webpage

Post by Grumpus »

Images and pages can come from other sites.
In some cases you might not get all of the information on a page in these cases.
If it takes a little longer it could have to do with the sites contributing to the whole visual/downloaded page.
Depending on the speed of your service and theirs plus your allowed connection level it all comes into play.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks G, does not make sense, the whole point is you downloaded a folder with all the assets, so you are not relying on anything or any site.
MAC USER
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Problem on my end, missed the part where you "saved" the web page.
But it still could be size of some files, like images, though that may seem strange on a Mac.
Sometimes when copying files and then opening them size delays the inevitable.
If you can find the subfolders, like the folder holding an image list look at the size of the various files.
I see this sometimes with books which have a large amount of illustrations and instead of getting the thumbnail or reduced size image you would see on the page there's the expanded full size. Also seen this in reverse where the full size is missing and only the thumb exists.
But now I'm just guessing for Macs, maybe do a scan of the files to make sure there's no corruptions.
It might also be format translations between Mac and whatever format the original page code was in.
Maybe, just for the a little more detail put the original page in the W3C Validator and look for errors and warnings.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
kevs

Post by kevs »

Did not understand most of that.
MAC USER
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

kevs wrote:Did not understand most of that.
I think the W3C validator's some kind of toilet cleaner he uses.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Kevs - you saved a web page complete using Firefox.
Concept: revisit the on-line page and place the complete url of the page in the area on the Validators page; check verbose and then push the Check button.
It will outline the html/xhtml ot whatever was used for the page and you will see any errors or problems which may be affecting the local saved pages load.
Example: If there is html in the page which requires a number of on-line links and you are off-line when opening the saved page the Validator should show the cross site call.

@Mighty - the maid does that.