So, FF Quantum ...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
LIMPET235

Re: So, FF Quantum ...

Post by LIMPET235 »

No probs.
I should think by now, that most people who post here, know where the Official forum is located.
They sometimes post in both, just in case one or t'other can answer their Q's.

Plus....Both sites are just users-helping-users.
AFAIK, no Devs frequent that official site, either.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

msdobrescu wrote:Then this whole place is pointless, because crying on each other shoulder won't help anybody.
Way off the mark there. This forum is very, very good. It helps people with problems/issues they encounter and, by my reading of the topics, more often than not finds fixes, or guides people to the means to discover fixes, for the issues. There are several members of this forum with real expertise (I'm not one of them) regarding FF and they do a very good job of helping people out. That activity alone is far from "pointless" and is, in fact, as best as I can see, the reason for the existence of this forum.

If people want to post weeps about "FF this..." and "FF that..." then that is kind of fine up to point. If the forum was full of weep posts it would drown-out its usefulness in the main area it focuses on - fixing problems within the limits of the capability FF offers to do so.

This is a very good forum and far from pointless. Applause to the folks here that help users with issues, (they helped me with a few over the years). Long may they continue to do so. =D>
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

Well, devs actually don't matter as long as the persons who should gather info from support sites are the ones that make feature decisions, rather than (only) implementing them.
These are so valuable places regarding the feedback even in getting the confirmation they are on the right track or not, or some preferred way of doing things with the tool they develop.
I know mostly people just complain, sometimes in an uncivilized way, but still, it should point to the most serious problems they might have in a concept or another.

Personally, what I dislike most lately is the trend that oversimplifies the software in order to be close to something they think it is the desired way just because it is forcibly advertised rather than preferred (for instance, KDE vs Windows, FF vs Chrome vs Edge). The concept teams - if there are any - should try to offer the uncommon rather than yet another thing doing the same as already ten others. This was FF, a rich in niche features offer that becomes a common software like any others. I know the effort to be that advanced, I should have seen coming after integrating myself SpiderMonkey - and during that many powerful features were cut too form a version to another... the signs were there...
toolong

Post by toolong »

Well, devs actually don't matter as long as the persons who should gather info from support sites are the ones that make feature decisions, rather than (only) implementing them.

One of the better places to offer suggestions and to report bugs about Firefox is the Mozilla Bugzilla. You should go there.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

However you can not post large rants. They accept short, precise posts.

Now if you still want to post rambling rants I would suggest Reddit. You can setup your own sub-Reddit and post away.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

No, these were not rants, rather assessments or a personal opinions. I wouldn't say these loud, shouting, but gently, resignedly. This is how should be read, despite these are unpleasant statements for many.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

and make FF more than what is it, more than just another chrome copy.
thats complete rubbish. try chrome and you will get the differences very far, faster than you would like. try it and only then we can talk on same level.

i am pretty sure that 99.9..9 % of all chrome users will stuck on local installations of extension files - its not that simple. chrome never supported userchrome.css, neither userchrome.js or user.js. say WHAT??? chrome never had any usable tab extension. tab saver, tab session manager, tabmix plus WE? in your dreams! decent bookmark manager? never had.

go chrome and people will cry rivers.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You do occasionally get a dev in the builds threads. Most people don't notice. And as far as I am concerned whining in any forum in the hopes the powers that be see it is juvenile and asinine
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

This forum is a great place as a community, one of my favorite sites. And as Brummelchen mentioned, Firefox is no where near a Chrome clone, so many differences, as he pointed out.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:This forum is a great place as a community, one of my favorite sites. And as Brummelchen mentioned, Firefox is no where near a Chrome clone, so many differences, as he pointed out.
Even the more plausibly Chromium-based "Chrome clones" such as Opera and Vivaldi, aren't.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

True, should have used different wording.
noway1

Post by noway1 »

For me choice was sticking with ESR until sites started breaking or go with Chrome. After having used Chrome for a few months have come to these conclusions:

-rendering web pages is fine
-memory use pretty good
-have spent many hours finding out how to neuter its bad habits with regard to privacy and performance with some success
-took awhile to find a way to have bookmarks open from the top left side of the browser, rather than the backwards default
-hate not being able to customize the toolbar and other browser aspects
-unable to find a way to stop extensions from updating to newer versions although I was able to stop Chrome the browser from doing it
-in finding extensions thru trial and error, found a lot that were too chatty with popups, requests to give a good review, etc.
-options buried in too many levels to find quickly
-no menu bar at the top

Keeping it for now but may change my mind and go back to ESR or ??? (probably not Quantum)
Last edited by noway1 on May 10th, 2018, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I'm using Quantum v60 at work. I've just enable WebRender. I must admit that the performance is stellar
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

unable to find a way to stop extensions from updating to newer versions
you cant. even in experienced mode you cant.
its bad habits with regard to privacy and performance with some success
same settings as in firefox, nothing special, nothing hidden -> chrome:flags - but firefox is easier to handle with prefs and user.js

conclusion - if you managed chrome (better: chromium) you wont have any problems with quantum.
in fact it gets easier to work with quantum than esr because chrome extensions are similar/same as for quantum and not the old xul system.
may this make your decision easy - because with upcoming september the old 52esr rail is DEAD.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

noway1 wrote:unable to find a way to stop extensions from updating to newer versions
go to tools/add-ons - click on the gear button and change setting to "Reset all add-ons to update manually"
noway1 wrote:-no menu bar at the top
Hit the Alt key and when the menu becomes visible hit /View/Toolbars/ and check Menu Bar
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:
noway1 wrote:unable to find a way to stop extensions from updating to newer versions
go to tools/add-ons - click on the gear button and change setting to "Reset all add-ons to update manually"
noway1 wrote:-no menu bar at the top
Hit the Alt key and when the menu becomes visible hit /View/Toolbars/ and check Menu Bar
It's not immediately clear in the quoted post, but the bits you are quoting are all related to Google Chrome, not Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)