Links to web sites not working - help needed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fdm2000

Links to web sites not working - help needed

Post by fdm2000 »

Web page links in documents and email and most all desktop web site icons suddenly are no longer working - however I can open Mozilla Firefox and get my Comcast Xfinity home page from its desktop icon? Using latest Firefox version in WIn 7 64 bit.

Wondering why this has suddenly occurred and if there is a fix? TIA

Frank
Brummelchen

Re: Links to web sites not working - help needed

Post by Brummelchen »

set firefox as default - or set IE then again firefox as default.
using "-no-remote" in command line?
fdm2000

Post by fdm2000 »

Thanks for the response -FF is my default browser - no change there from past. Not sure what you mean by ..."using no-remote in command line. Could you explain for this 86 year old?
allande

Post by allande »

The no-remote parameter is a feature used in either the settings of an email client or on the shortcuts that launch Firefox that some people use to run multiple profiles. If you didn't do anything special it won't be there any don't have to worry about it.

What the above suggestion otherwise says may work - maybe 50% chance - worth a try since it should be easy:
1 - set something else like edge or IE to be default browser
2 - set Firefox back to be default browser.
3 - reboot the computer, and try your links.

If that didn't work, this longer process should fix it - 85% chance at least I hope.
1 - Download the full installer for Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/ and pick Windows 64-bit and your language, probably English-US
1 - set something else like edge or IE to be default browser.
2 - uninstall Firefox.
3 - Press windows key, letter E to open windows explorer. Go to program files and make sure that Mozilla Firefox is gone. If it is not gone, delete it. Then go to program files (x86) and make sure that Mozilla Firefox is gone. If it is not gone, delete it.
4 - Delete all shortcuts on the desktop, start menu and taskbar for Mozilla Firefox.
5 - Reboot
6 - Install Mozilla Firefox from your full installer. During the install process, allow it to create the shortcuts that you prefer.
7 - When you run Firefox it should ask if you want it to be the default browser, say yes. If it does not ask, set it to the default browser from in the Firefox options (the three lines or hamburger menu).
Now links from other software should work. If they do not, post another message.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

-no-remote as parameter makes firefox start and not to accept external calls that session, eg from mailer or anything else. this may explain your issue but as you dont know its close to impossible.
fdm2000

Post by fdm2000 »

The setting of IE temporarily as my default browser and next setting Firefox as default did the trick - links and web site icon shortcuts now workings - many thanks for your assistance allande and Brummelchen