Is there a working Bookmark icon changer for Firefox ESR 52

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

Is there a working Bookmark icon changer for Firefox ESR 52

Post by c627627 »

Old Bookmark icon changers do not seem to work on pre-Quantum Fx ESR 52.
If there is no working extension any more, what is the manual way to change a Bookmark icon on Fx 52?

EDIT:
c627627 wrote:Solution:

1. Install Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... %2045.8.0/

2. Install bookmarkfaviconchanger229.xpi under Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jkzz6cqi5 ... ger229.xpi

3. Close Firefox, copy places.sqlite from your Firefox ESR 52 profile to Firefox ESR 45 Portable profile, overwriting existing places.sqlite

4. Start Firefox ESR 45 Portable and edit Bookmark icons with bookmarkfaviconchanger229.xpi you installed.

5. Close Firefox and copy places.sqlite from Firefox ESR 45 Portable profile to your Firefox ESR 52 profile, overwriting existing places.sqlite file.
Last edited by c627627 on February 20th, 2018, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
allande

Re: Is there a working Bookmark icon changer for Firefox ESR

Post by allande »

c627627

Post by c627627 »

No because they give you a few of their own (pretty lame) icons to choose from, not change icons to your own.
I use to use Bookmark Favicon Changer but it appears to have stopped working way before Firefox 52. I know this is limited in Fx57+ but in Fx52, we should be able to do this?
allande

Post by allande »

This thread shows how to do it with userchrome.css https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... irefox_57/
c627627

Post by c627627 »

So it looks like it can be done but there is no currently working program that does it.

Quick q: Your linked thread is for Fx57+, I thought precisely thins kind of messing with the menu has a separate way in Quantum, if possible at all. In other words, discussion about how to do this in Fx57+ doesn't necessarily mean it won't work in Fx52-Fx56?

Your link has this code:

.bookmark-item[label="/r/Firefox"] image {
width:0!important;
height:0!important;
padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;
background:url(DATA URL)!important;
}

Would you or anyone kindly copy/paste that code to show example creation of a custom icon for say, mozillazine.org using icon file located at C:\mozillazine.ico
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use Bookmark Favicon Changer 2.29 with FF52.6
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I created a brand new empty profile just to test bookmark_favicon_changer_2.29.xpi on Fx52.6.0 and it does not change icons. Would you please test it and conform that it still works?
Last version 2.29 is still located here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/p5zci7 ... conChanger

It's strange that it doesn't work on an empty profile on my Windows 8.1.
I can retest in Windows 7 or 10 if anyone can confirm that it works today.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Sorry about the misinfo. :oops:
Win 7. You're right, I'm looking at all my old favicons, most of which are my own, but I can't change any. I don't know when it last worked. I wonder if I remove the extension, will I lose my favicon collection?

52ESR has its issues. I was blocked from doing a certain online survey because "you have an old version of FF," and a couple of the NEW extensions say my FF is incompatible. Now at least 2 extensions have stopped working.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I can test your css code, but I don't understand how it works. How do I tell it to use a certain icon on my D partition for a certain bookmark? Isn't Reddit mostly for developers?
morat

Post by morat »

It works for me.

Code: Select all

/* Firefox userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

.bookmark-item[label="mozillaZine"] image {
  width: 0 !important;
  height: 0 !important;
  background: url("http://forum.mozilla-russia.org/uploaded/custombuttons_button.png") !important;
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

mozillaZine
http://www.mozillazine.org/
Last edited by morat on February 22nd, 2018, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Sorry about the misinfo. :oops:
Win 7. You're right, I'm looking at all my old favicons, most of which are my own, but I can't change any. I don't know when it last worked. I wonder if I remove the extension, will I lose my favicon collection?
I just check to see if I could change an icon in here... same OS and ESR as you use... I don't dare test all of this to see if stuff fails if I remove the extension but you could always create another profile, backup your main one and then restore that profile to you new test profile and then do the test in there. At least that would be one way to answer your question.

It is too bad that this extension is dead now... it was a great one!! I wonder how may users Mozilla has lost due to their change... I know that 'progress' never stops but this was a hard one to swallow.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Okay so there is no program that does this easily any more. Thanks for confirming.
morat, I remember your user name you have helped me in the past a lot, but I am having trouble understanding your post.

We are simply trying to use a personal icon that is on our hard drive, for example testicon.ico which is on C: drive.
How do we assign our own testicon.ico to a web site like mozillazine.org
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

c627627 wrote:... for example testicon.ico which is on C: drive.
How do we assign our own testicon.ico to a web site like mozillazine.org
I see that you're already using userChrome.css? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14005445

If not, there's an incredibly well-written Sticky at the top of this forum that runs you through that side.

Now, you can leave your .ico where it is, but it will end up with a file:/// prefix in its path (drag your image into an empty tab and look at the addressbar) So, the cleanest way is just to put your images into the profile's chrome folder and the path (as you'll see) is very simple and clean then.

We'll assume your testicon.ico is now in your chrome folder and then Morat's code is simply copied and pasted into your userChrome.css file, below the namespace line, thus :

Code: Select all

/*morats change Bookmark Icon fix...*/
.bookmark-item[label="mozillaZine"] image {
  width: 0 !important;
  height: 0 !important;
  background: url("testicon.ico") !important; }
Note: the label name above needs to be exactly as the bookmark name. If it's not, then right click the bookmark, then Properties and change the name or copy the real name given and use that in your code instead.

First one might take a few minutes to figure, but after that they can be done in seconds for other ones.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you.
Regarding line padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;

If your custom icon's dimensions are 32 by 32, you would need to change that line to say 32px 32px
However, you will, it appears, run into problems if your custom icon dimensions are 48 by 48 for example. Even if you change that line to say 48 px 48px, the custom 48 by 48 icon won't fit because you have to resize it to max 32 by 32. It could be that those old Fx extensions were automatically resizing custom icons to be 16 by 16 or 32 by 32...?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

morat--
Do you have to write a new line for each favicon? Is it practical if c627627 wants to change many?