How Do I Zoom Page in Small Increments?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
killz

How Do I Zoom Page in Small Increments?

Post by killz »

When I zoom in a page in ff 57 the increments are in 10%. I went to about:config to change this in: 'toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues.' But it doesnt increment. Is there any way to make this custom zoom work?
ghot

Re: How Do I Zoom Page in Small Increments?

Post by ghot »

I don't know if there IS a way to do what you want. But, you can just PrtSc (take a screenshot) of any image on the web and use your favorite image editor to resize to anything you want.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

killz,
What do you have set as the zoom %'s?
AFAIK, the defaults are...
> .3,.5,.67,.8,.9,1,1.1,1.2,1.33,1.5,1.7,2,2.4,3
Not sure, but, did you change them & restart Firefox?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ghot

Post by ghot »

Just tested it. It works. Just "double" click the toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues line to open a dialog box where you CAN edit the string, part or all of it, and click OK. Then as Limpet235 said, just restart FF.

/e Should have added that the values listed in: toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues actually show up in the browser as x100. So .3 is 30%, 1.7 is 170% etc.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
killz

Post by killz »

ghot wrote:Just tested it. It works. Just "double" click the toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues line to open a dialog box where you CAN edit the string, part or all of it, and click OK. Then as Limpet235 said, just restart FF.

/e Should have added that the values listed in: toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues actually show up in the browser as x100. So .3 is 30%, 1.7 is 170% etc.

Hi,

Yes I put in these values:
.3,.5,.67,.8,.9,9.5,9.7,1,1.02,1.05,1.07,1.1,1.12,1.15,1.16,1.17,1.18,1.19,1.2,1.3,1.5,1.7,2,2.4,3

But when I zoom in or out with my mouse while holding the ctrl key the increments are 10%. Why is this happening?
ghot

Post by ghot »

I just use the mouse on the + and - signs on the zoom tool that I dragged to the Tool Bar from the Customize page.

I don't think it's possible to do it the way you're trying to do it, with the scroll wheel. When I try to do it like that, it does exactly like you said...by 10% increments.

I'm running FF 58.0.2 and via a userChrome.css file have everything set to look like the old days.

Anyways, it does work if I use the zoom tool, but not with ctrl+scroll wheel.

/e The way you're trying to do, would be a Windows setting in: Control Panel > Mouse, I assume. I checked on my comp (Win 7) and don't see any zoom settings there. OI would imagine that you would need a 3rd party program (if available) to do it with ctrl + scroll wheel.

If you have a mouse that requires a mouse driver, there may be a setting for something like that. Something that comes with the gamer mice, possibly?

When you change the settings in about:config, that is strictly a FF adjustment, and requires you use the FF zoom tool like in the pic above.

Lastly I noticed two lines at the very bottom of about:config to set the max. and min. range of the zoom tool and possibly the ctrl + scroll wheel method as well.

/ee There is also the standard Windows Magnifier Tool built into to Windows. On Win 7 the smallest increment setting is 25% . In Windows 10 it may be different... might be an even smaller increment?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -magnifier

/eee Also found one of many Zoom addons. This one looks like the one with the finest increments... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoom/

I just searched for Zoom Tool in addons...here are ALL the results...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... =Zoom+Tool
killz

Post by killz »

ghot wrote:
Anyways, it does work if I use the zoom tool, but not with ctrl+scroll wheel.
I used the zoom tool too. But I still get the 10% increment. This doesnt make sense.
Also found one of many Zoom addons. This one looks like the one with the finest increments... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoom/
I installed this addon. But I can get small increments using its built-in scroll tool, not the mouse. Its supposed to work with small increments with the mouse but it doesnt work.

Anyway why would ff include 'toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues' if it ONLY increments 10%?

Theres got to be a solution to this. Is there a solution to this? I really need the mouse to increment smaller increments.

ghot

Post by ghot »

Ok, I used your exact list of zoom settings. It works for me.

I see other settings in about:config concerning the mouse. But if you haven't messed with them... ? I haven't changed any of those settings in my about:config.
Only other thing I can think of is that you might have a gaming mouse whose software is interfering?

Like I said before, I'm using the userChrome.css file, but the only things I have set in there, are for "looks". Nothing seems to have anything to do with mouse or zoom.

I'm also on Win 7 and just have a standard mouse. Left, right and scroll wheel.

Sorry, I can't get mine to act the way yours does. Aka, only 10% increments.
therube

Post by therube »

Just to point out... Mouse Wheel (at least in SeaMonkey)... well I guess a picture would be better...

IOW, there is some configuration available.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
killz

Post by killz »

ghot wrote:Ok, I used your exact list of zoom settings. It works for me.
Well I'm testing ff 57 in a virtual machine. Do you think this has anything to do with it?
ghot

Post by ghot »

I doubt that being in a VM would affect anything like zoom capabilities.

/e I guess it could always be the mouse itself? Maybe w/e mouse you are using has some limitations that we are unaware of.
FYI, I'm using a $9 mouse. A Logitech M100. Just a very basic mouse I grabbed at Walmart.

The only other thing I noticed is that in FF's Tools > Options > General tab, way down at the bottom I have the options set like this...

I think these are the defaults, but I don't really remember.
And I just remembered, I did set the Vertical scrolling from the default 3 to 6 in Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel, in Windows itself.

atlanto

Post by atlanto »

killz wrote:But when I zoom in or out with my mouse while holding the ctrl key the increments are 10%. Why is this happening?
Ctrl+wheel zooming is not referring "toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues". It referres "zoom.minPercent" and "zoom.maxPercent" only. The value of 10% is *hard coded*(written in source code), so it is not customizable on Firefox itself.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... m-page-we/
(->Options->Zoom Levels & Font Size->Zoom In/Out->By fixed step) may or may not help you.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That is how zooming with the mouse scroll wheel works, only changes in 10% differences.
If you use the keyboard then you can zoom with the exact values as set via toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues.
When you use the scroll wheel then zooming start with the current value and increments or decrements the current value in 10% (101% -> 91%/111%).
aborix

Post by aborix »

There is a way to have custom increments with userChrome.css and userChrome.xml files.
It is done the same way as there: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14792842

The code to put into the userChrome.css is the same.
This is the userChrome.xml:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<bindings id="generalBindings"
  xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl"
  xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"
  xmlns:xbl="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl">

<binding id="execute_javascript_code" extends="chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbarbutton.xml#menu">
    <implementation>
      <constructor>
        <![CDATA[

(function() {
            if (window.ucjsExecuted)
              return;
            ucjsExecuted = true;
            gBrowser.addEventListener('wheel', function(event) {
              if (!event.ctrlKey)
                return;
              event.preventDefault();
              const lines = 3;
              let val = Number((ZoomManager.zoom - 0.05 * event.deltaY / lines).toFixed(2));
              if (val >= ZoomManager.MIN && val <= ZoomManager.MAX) {
                FullZoom.setZoom(val);
              };
            });
          })();

]]>
      </constructor>
    </implementation>
  </binding>
</bindings>
In line 21:

Code: Select all

const lines = 3;
the number 3 is the number of lines vertically scrolled by one notch, as shown in the last image in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14793036.
If you don't have the default value 3, you have to take yours instead.