Is there a working Bookmark icon changer for Firefox ESR 52

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
morat

Re: Is there a working Bookmark icon changer for Firefox ESR

Post by morat »

@LoveMyFoxy

You would need to create one entry per bookmark, assuming the bookmark name is unique.

Is it practical? Yes, but I guess that depends on your skills.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

You are correct that this is far from practical but without any programs that work today and that the only option is to manually reduce the icon size for each bookmark to be 16x16 or 32x32 max then manually make one of these for each and every bookmark, remembering that the .ico files must have exact same name as Bookmark name.

/*morats change Bookmark Icon fix...*/
.bookmark-item[label="ExactNameOfBookmark"] image {
width: 0 !important;
height: 0 !important;
padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;
background: url("ExactNameOfBookmark.ico") !important;
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Actually wait, I just thought of a more practical solution, and maybe you can post if this is more practical:

Figure out the last version of Firefox where bookmark_favicon_changer_2.29.xpi works on:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jkzz6cqi5 ... ger229.xpi

Install that version of Firefox as a portable version and use it to set Bookmark icons.
Now simply copy/paste file places.sqlite from that version of Firefox into Firefox 52 ESR.

Would that work? How do you make Portable Firebox for this purpose that does not interfere with your main Fx52 ESR installation?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I tested that idea. The first version of ESR 52 is not compatible with bookmark_favicon_changer_2.29.xpi but previous version before that FirefoxPortableESR_45.8.0 is:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... %2045.8.0/

However, simply copy/pasting places.sqlite file from it is not enough. Is there another file/way to transfer Bookmarks *with icons* ?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Solution:

1. Install Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... %2045.8.0/

2. Install bookmarkfaviconchanger229.xpi under Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jkzz6cqi5 ... ger229.xpi

3. Close Firefox, copy places.sqlite from your Firefox ESR 52 profile to Firefox ESR 45 Portable profile, overwriting existing places.sqlite

4. Start Firefox ESR 45 Portable and edit Bookmark icons with bookmarkfaviconchanger229.xpi you installed.

5. Close Firefox and copy places.sqlite from Firefox ESR 45 Portable profile to your Firefox ESR 52 profile, overwriting existing places.sqlite file.
morat

Post by morat »

c627627 wrote:automatically resizing custom icons to be 16 by 16
Try this:

Code: Select all

.bookmark-item[label="mozillaZine"] image {
 /* background-image: url("chrome://branding/content/icon16.png") !important; */
 /* background-image: url("chrome://branding/content/icon32.png") !important; */
    background-image: url("chrome://branding/content/icon48.png") !important;
    background-size: 100% !important;
}
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

c627627 wrote:You are correct that this is far from practical but without any programs that work today and that the only option is to manually reduce the icon size for each bookmark to be 16x16 or 32x32 max then manually make one of these for each and every bookmark, remembering that the .ico files must have exact same name as Bookmark name.

I have only a few bookmarked sites that don't have favicons, so I might try it. I already have 400 ico files that I've been playing with for years.

What does this mean? Is background image another name for the favicon? Do I need a subfolder called "branding" in my chrome folder?
background-image: url("chrome://branding/content/icon16.png

Morat--aren't you also active on the Custom Buttons section of Sourceforge?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
c627627

Post by c627627 »

LoveMyFoxy, wouldn't it be (much) faster to do 400 icons using Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable as intermediate solution trick, I mean just simply copying places.sqlite from it to newer Firefox vs. 400 manual edits?

I mean I see the userChrome.css solution as useful for a few icons, but if you need to do dozens, let alone hundreds of icons, then places.sqlite would be (much) faster.
morat

Post by morat »

@LoveMyFoxy

These are chrome urls that you can use for testing.

* chrome://branding/content/icon16.png (16x16 image)
* chrome://branding/content/icon32.png (32x32 image)
* chrome://branding/content/icon48.png (48x48 image)

CSS Reference
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... /Reference
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... background

The last tweak I posted resized a 48x48 image to 16x16.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

c627627 wrote:LoveMyFoxy, wouldn't it be (much) faster to do 400 icons using Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable as intermediate solution trick, I mean just simply copying places.sqlite from it to newer Firefox vs. 400 manual edits?

I mean I see the userChrome.css solution as useful for a few icons, but if you need to do dozens, let alone hundreds of icons, then places.sqlite would be (much) faster.
I don't need to do dozens. I just meant the 400 icon files is already part of my graphics collection on my data partition. I have maybe 5 bookmarked sites that have the generic FF favicon that looks like a soccer ball. All the others already have favicons.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

morat wrote:@LoveMyFoxy

These are chrome urls that you can use for testing.

* chrome://branding/content/icon16.png (16x16 image)
* chrome://branding/content/icon32.png (32x32 image)
* chrome://branding/content/icon48.png (48x48 image)

CSS Reference
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... /Reference
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... background

The last tweak I posted resized a 48x48 image to 16x16.
I'm lost on those 2 pages, as I don't code, unless someone here gives me an exact code to copy and paste. I'm going to drop out of this discussion and pass it back to the OP.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

This is all the more reason why the solution that doesn't require coding may be for you:
places.sqlite is the file that contains both Bookmarks _and_ Bookmark icons.

Taking that file from ESR 45 *where bookmarkfaviconchanger fully works* is the solution. But I would first copy places.sqlite from ESR 52 to ESR 45 then edit icons then copy it back.
Much much quicker than code.

As for code, I am like you, and need exact code since I don't code often but morat's original "code" absolutely does work with 16x16 icons and 32x32 icons:

Your Firefox Profile \chrome\ folder needs to contain the .ico icon files and this file userChrome.css needs to contain this code:

morat then posted how to solve the problem of higher resolution .ico files but I admit I am also confused on what the exact code is for this example:

Bookmark named "test"
(for example) 256x256 Icon file "test.ico"

What would be code for that example of bookmark test and icon file test.ico which is a 256x256 icon file?

[I just assumed that you have to resize all .ico files manually to be 16x16 or 32x32]
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'm over the snit I was in yesterday. It wasn't about Mzine but about the MS/Intel mess over Spectre/Meltdown. So, in a better mood, I decided to meet the challenge here:

All my stored icons are 16x16, and many have a 32x32 fraternal twin. I started collecting them with my first computer, and I add or make ones as needed. I did one in this profile and it worked, and it also changes the History favicon for all URL's using that bookmark :-) A 2nd one I did in my other profile.

It's easier to resize them all in your photo-editing program before you code, and put them all in one place

My ico was for "mzine," , so I named my ico "mzine.ico." What confused my was "url" but it's not always the URL, but your name for the bookmark.

You need a } after your previous chrome entry

}
.bookmark-item[label="mzine"] image {
background: url("mzine.ico") !important;

Didn't work
Nor the 2 I did for my other profile. :-k Probably because I have no bookmark called "mzine," although I have maybe 50 for this site. They all have other names, and I'm not going to rename them all. I guess it works better on a site where you have just one bookmark.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on February 22nd, 2018, 11:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

error error
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Okay, this line

The word ExactNameOfBookmark means instead of ExactNameOfBookmark, it has to spell out the actual name of your bookmark. You correctly diagnosed your problem when you said there was mo Boomark named mzine but your code was for a bookmark named mzine.

If you rename your bookmark name to mzine, and you do have mzine.ico inside your Firefox Profile \chrome\ folder then it should work. If it doesn't post back and we'll try to diagnose the problem.

But I'll say it again since you did not address this suggestion: if you have problems with code details, why not simply use the Portable ESR 45 trick, that would be much, much easier for anyone not used to coding. All you would do is copy/paste one single file named places.sqlite from/to your profile folder.