Recovery After Windows 7 Crash

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

Re: Recovery After Windows 7 Crash

Post by ghot »

You don't have to download anything. Windows comes with PAINT, or MSPaint.
You just need to crop your image in paint. Like so...

/e In Win 7 it is located at: START > Accessories > Paint

Use the PrtSc key to take the screenshot, open Paint, at top left use Paste to paste the screenshot you just took.
Then use the Select tool and draw a box around what part of the screenshot you want, then click: Crop.
Save the image to your desktop, then upload to your favorite Image Hosting site.

Last edited by ghot on February 21st, 2018, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

troothteller,
but I am not downloading anything to my computer just to satisfy this forum:
The free program that I posted & for you try, was just a suggestion.
It had nothing to do with reducing an image just, to post it on this form.
That's all.
Over 'n' out.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Let's get back to the problem because I am not particularly interested in this image garbage. They could have made it easier to post this content. Besides, I have not been able to access SeaMonkey in the last two days. It is kicking out the same profile with the message "Your SeaMonkey profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." Besides, I not only lost bookmarks, but also recent messages, email group lists and messages from important people now deceased. As far as both browsers, I lost extensions that made controlled popups.
ghot

Post by ghot »

troothteller wrote:For the moderator, I have the SeaMonkey Profile Manager saved to Desktop. Without SeaMonkey opened, I opened the Profile Manager, navigated to the Profiles folder I created and backed up with Nero. None of the profiles there work. There is an error message stating that SeaMonkey cannot read them. This is an MSI laptop, one of the early ones I purchased on Black Friday, 2010. From the System page in Control Panel, this is the processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) P6100 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz. Regarding this emergency situation, some of the programs I can use give SeaMonkey Mail a corrupted appearance, duplicating twice or three times the same message in the inbox and other folders. I had enough of these occurrences with SeaMonkey before the crash. Now, with these email accounts I am trying to restore, SeaMonkey is kicking out my password that I need to open and send messages, the same password that I established with Comcast.
I build and troubleshoot computers.

It sounds to me like you have a hardware and a software problem.
The software problem I mentioned in the 2nd post in this topic. February's Updates will cause BSOD if Sophos did not set the registry value as shown here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074598

If you need help with accessing the registry, I can help you.

As for the laptop itself... it's 8 years old. Unless it was cleaned (having the dust blown out regularly) over the years, it very well may be damaged to the point of needing replaced. * years is an extraordinary time for a laptop to last.

/e All the FF and Seamonkey troubleshooting, isn't going to help unless you have Windows working properly, as well as the laptop's hardware.

Microsoft isn't out to get us. They made these updates to fight both Meltdown and Spectre. Two really nasty security holes.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Right now I accessed this site though a public library computer, afraid to do much on mine at home. With all the work I had in progress on the computer before the crash, I was thankful that the hard drive was not damaged since the computer is on its third one. No, there will not be another computer for me after the one I own finally crashes; and I have A+ training, making me more able to do things inside the computer.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Oh well then it should be easy for you. Just open regedit.exe and browse to the key listed in the Microsoft article.
If it's not there or is different than what is shown, then you need to contact Sophos and find out why they haven't SET that registry value, or get a new AV program. Everyone on Windows 7 has to do this. Most AV companies have SET that registry entry.

If that value is not SET as in the article, the Windows Updates will cause the BSOD.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Windows Registry is what I regard as a bad virtual neighborhood. I have, however, made registry backups before doing anything major. Sophos was not my antivirus of choice; but it was an option of an office chain store's virus removal program. The store sells other security program that are not options under the virus removal program. Now, under that program, McAfee is the only one they offer. Having had A+, we were advised to avoid common services like AOL, Symantec, Norton and McAfee. With customers, which I never got into, we were advised to steer them away from Microsoft unless they insisted, as well as IE and Outlook. Of course, I am not going as far as to install Linux. Sophos is weird at the technical support end because, since a store sold it, they expect the store to handle any problems running it. Whack jobs! I will start a chat with them later to mention this Registry issue. Having chatted with Sophos, I checked my Registry and the keys matched what they should be in related articles. So, I did not have to change them.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Well, then Sophos must have already applied that registry value, as all AV vendors were supposed to.

On the one hand that's a good thing, on the other...it pretty much points to a hardware issue.
I would suggest you grab w/e 3rd party temperature monitoring software you like, and check your temperatures. Heat can also cause issues like this.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

This new update today does not help matters. I just tried to signin on my ISP's homepage; and it is still frozen.