Banner ad covers webpage / Lightning?!?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael Power

Banner ad covers webpage / Lightning?!?

Post by Michael Power »

Hi - I regularly view a local newspaper online https://www.smh.com.au and for some reason when it loads up, its top banner always fills the entire webpage.Here's a screengrab I uploaded
http://www.afterglow.net.au/ClientAccess/Power/smh.jpg

In other browsers on my mac, especially Firefox, it opens fine, but not in Seamonkey.

I love Seamonkey and want to continue using it even though a couple of annoying things like this and Lightning not working happen.

I have a few problems with Lightning. When I enable it, some of the websites I regularly load up including my own come up with errors.

Thanks
ElTxolo

Re: Banner ad covers webpage / Lightning?!?

Post by ElTxolo »

Michael Power wrote:.... I love Seamonkey and want to continue using it even though a couple of annoying things like this and Lightning not working happen.

I have a few problems with Lightning. When I enable it, some of the websites I regularly load up including my own come up with errors.
  • Using SeaMonkey on GNU/Linux, I can see that local newspaper you comment on. No problem at all
    (BTW I don't use Lightning).

Anyway, you can try to completely remove lightning from the user agent in SeaMonkey:
  • Type about:config in the SeaMonkey address bar, and press Enter.
  • Accept that stupid warning.
  • In the filter type:
    "calendar. useragent. extra"
  • You should modify it (using double click or right click), leaving it blank.

And then, you can check again if you see those pages correctly
    (without Lightning in the User Agent).

Cheers ! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Michael Power wrote:Hi - I regularly view a local newspaper online https://www.smh.com.au and for some reason when it loads up, its top banner always fills the entire webpage.
No idea, site looks fine to me, with or with my uBlock Origin adblocker enabled. Try starting SM in SafeMode and see if it still happens.
I love Seamonkey and want to continue using it even though a couple of annoying things like this and Lightning not working happen.
Well, that's good, I suppose.
Lightning is an extension that adds its name and version to your user agent string. Which is great for Lightning, but it confuses the hell out of a good few websites. Turn off 'Advertise Lightning compat.' under Preferences/Advanced/HTTP Networking.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ElTxolo wrote:(BTW I don't use Lightning).
I do, the useragent pref got added as an option a version or two back. - see my UA here >
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Frank Lion wrote:
ElTxolo wrote:(BTW I don't use Lightning).
I do, the useragent pref got added as an option a version or two back. - see my UA here >
  • :-k I wasn't aware of that option in the preferences, you mentioned in the previous message. Because I never used the Lightning calendar.

Anyway, thanks for the information. :wink:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

Hey, thanks, the HTTP Lightning tip about turning off Advertise Lightning compat worked.

AND, the newspaper site loads up normally as well. Would that be connected to the above Lightning issue if as you say it confuses websites??
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Michael Power wrote:AND, the newspaper site loads up normally as well. Would that be connected to the above Lightning issue if as you say it confuses websites??
Very possibly. For example - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... quiry.html and Lightning compat showing? - site loads fine, so why don't the Comments load? It's because they are served up by a different company to the main site and it the latter who get confused!

Lightning is a good extension, but it is only an extension, and should never have been allowed to mess up the main goal of a browser - to view websites.

See also - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14793573

I only have just 3 site specific overrides, i.e. general.useragent.override.facebook.com ...etc, for browsing the whole of the Net. so, it not like this goes on forever, but you do need to be aware of this side.
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

Ah, who knows why, but this problem with my local newspaper www.smh.com.au won't go away where the advertising banners on webpages 'spread' all over the page and so no text is visible.

I've spoken to them, followed up with repeated emails and they're clearly not interested in fixing the problem, either because they perceive Seamonkey as not having a big enough profile or it's some setting on my mac. They've told me repeatedly to view it in a different browser which defeats the purpose of SM.

I notice in preferences there are options re Java script. Would this be the issue? Should I update it? Is there anything else in preferences that might affect how webpages and banner ads load??

Thanks
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

in about:config
change the following to false
dom.webnotifications.enabled
dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled
default is true

I had a site thehornnews which a banner ad cover most of the visible page.
Doing the the above stopped the ad from showing.
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

rdtom wrote:in about:config
default is true

I had a site thehornnews which a banner ad cover most of the visible page.
Doing the the above stopped the ad from showing.
Thanks for the suggestion. Where would I find these settings? I'm on a mac, OS10.11.4
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

Thanks, I did a search and found out where the settings lie ('This way dragons lie"???) and changed them. So it seems to work. And Lightning is still fine with no other interruptions.

Thanks again

Mick
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

Hi everyone

Ahhh, everything seemed to be going well but now my favourite online radio station is not playing. Every time it opens, it crashes Seamonkey suddenly and violently:
http://radio.abc.net.au/stations/RN/live?play=true

Could it be the player or is it the changes I made recently?
"in about:config
default is true"
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Michael Power wrote:... Ahhh, everything seemed to be going well but now my favourite online radio station is not playing. Every time it opens, it crashes Seamonkey suddenly and violently:
http://radio.abc.net.au/stations/RN/live?play=true
  • :-k For me, it works correctly, using GNU/Linux debian Sid (Siduction).
    But if I use the original user agent (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20180205 SeaMonkey/2.49.2), the audio sounds choppy.
    So, I changed the user agent to firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0) and already sounds good.

By the way, the webnotifications values, are by default.

Cheers!! Image

~
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

I really do appreciate the community's assistance with these issues but can you give me more details about what I should do?
I went into about:config, right clicked to create new string but then stalled because I wasn't sure what to put. In your line you've got Linux etc but I'm on a Mac 0S10.11.4.

Should I be trying the override command as in the other thread quoted?

Apologies but this is new to me since I'm a longtime, happy but basic user of Seamonkey.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Michael Power wrote:I really do appreciate the community's assistance with these issues but can you give me more details about what I should do?
I went into about:config, right clicked to create new string but then stalled because I wasn't sure what to put. In your line you've got Linux etc but I'm on a Mac 0S10.11.4.
  • :-k
  • Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
  • Ignore the warning message.
  • Right click >> New >> String >> general.useragent.override.radio.abc.net.au
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
  • Restart SeaMonkey.
  • Done!

Cheers! Image

~