incorrect layout (for a few milliseconds) is visible

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
S3ndG

incorrect layout (for a few milliseconds) is visible

Post by S3ndG »

Hello,
on Firefox 58.0.2 64-bit, I have many websites that have incorrect layout that is visible quickly before all is loaded. It is like some text version of the website.
For instance, if you try to load one of these 3 websites (with the extensions disabled):
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

(The cache for these websites must be erased in order to see the bug, with Ctrl+F5.)
May you confirm that? (On recent and fast computers, it is difficult to see the problem.)
LIMPET235

Re: incorrect layout (for a few milliseconds) is visible

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Using my portable version of Firefox (same version as yours), I visited the site...
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

... and it did have what looked like a two phase display of that page. I have about 6 extensions in that version BTW. I started up IE and I saw a very short two phase display of that page but it was quick. I then put my Firefox into safe-mode and I still got that phased display but it was also pretty quick. I guess it's just the way that these browsers handle it????

Also, when you say that you disabled extensions... was that via Firefox safe-mode or just that you had the exts. disabled?

That's about all that I have for you. BTW... it also did it in my ESR version of Firefox.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I only see it in your first link (running ESR 52.6.0 64-bit). I note this site has a couple of fairlyy extensive javascript scripts at the beginning of the source. Perhaps they must be evaluated before the correct view of the page can be displayed??
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I think it is one of the unfortunate side effects of all the CMS that are currently used.

I checked http://jeuxvideo.com
Essentially, I loaded the page and did "ctrl-U" to see the code, and I searched for ".css" files.

First links to a css file is on lines 85-86, and the bulk of it happens on lines 217 and 219 after some of the content has already been loaded. So in a nutshell, part of the page content is loaded including the menu content, then repositioned afterwards. The only way to go around it would be to preload all CSS content (or the entire page and its linked content) before displaying it. This is what seems to be done by Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

mgagnonlv wrote:+ This is what seems to be done by Chrome and Internet Explorer.
In my test using IE I noticed a slight pause between part one and part two of that display... like the OP points out. I'm sure that I see it (maybe not anybody else) because my laptop is pretty low end... compared to newer pc's... but it was there in my test....no big deal to me.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

To speed your display, FFox will start to display the first part of the downloaded page code while the rest of a long page is being downloaded. If code further down in the page alters the page display format, the page then must be redrawn. I think you are seeing the effect of this action.

There used to be an about:config setting (nglayout.initialpaint.delay) that determined how long a delay to build in after the intial part of the code is received before starting to display the page. It had a default of 250 milliseconds (1/4 second). Setting this to a higher setting would help issues like this, especially in the bad old days of dial-up internet. This option was not shown by default but had to be added manually if you wanted a non-default value. I don't think this is being supported any longer. I added it to my configuration with a value of 5000 (5 seconds) as a test -- I used a long enough value to be sure it would be noticeable, and it did not seem to introduce a delay in initial display. [Added later:] Or maybe it truncates the delay if the entire page code is received before the delay times out (??).
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
S3ndG

Post by S3ndG »

dfoulkes wrote: Also, when you say that you disabled extensions... was that via Firefox safe-mode or just that you had the exts. disabled?
In fact I just disabled my extensions (2) but it is just to make some tests without saying that the bug is due to an extension...

I've found that there are some bug reports ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1404468 for instance) that deal with this but nobody really work on.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

try if "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" (default > string > "250") helps out. in quantum you have to add this entry, not present.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is not a support issue; but, a minor rendering bug at worst.

Locking

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6