Recovery After Windows 7 Crash

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
troothteller

Recovery After Windows 7 Crash

Post by troothteller »

Forum moderators and other participants, I have not visited this forum since we had this digital picture controversy. However I have profiles that I saved to an external network hard drive. After trying them, they behaved quirky and kicked out passwords. Also, I had trouble using drop down menu commands, specifically those that move inbox messages to other folders. The messages stay in the inbox. There was a moment that I could not move messages; but the messages I intended to keep went into Junk. Now, with the profile I chose to use as the most reliable of the ones I saved, which also kept the most messages, I found that I cannot sent the two most recent messages I composed. After several attempts to send them, I saved them to my Drafts folder. Usually from there they eventual respond to the Send command; but this time they don't.
DanRaisch

Re: Recovery After Windows 7 Crash

Post by DanRaisch »

I split this latest post off to a new topic as the previous discussion related to Firefox while this refers to SeaMonkey's email component.

Do you have extensions installed in the restored profile you refer to above?
Does the same things occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

DanRaisch, I have not tried Safe Mode in SeaMonkey, where all these problems are. Firefox causes me no problems. Previously I created a Bookmarks file for Firefox and they are all there. While logging in I opened SeaMonkey and it took a long while for the Get Addons tab to load. There are only three extensions in my version and they are all deactivated. To avoid popups, I probably had extensions installed in the prior version before the crash. The plugins are activated. I will try Safe Mode and get back. Right now I am accessing my ISP's home page to access my email.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

DanRaisch, I am now in Safe Mode and I am able to send emails. I wish the other problems were this easy to fix. Even if these profiles were not corrupted, I wish they could save all data. I only saved my Firefox bookmarks in one place; and they saved everything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Safe Mode is not intended to be a solution but only a diagnostic tool. When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons Manager->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) Close and restart the program. See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

DanRaisch, I have been using SeaMonkey for email and occasional browsing with only one addon activated called Google Update. I can send and receive email with that one activated; but I notice instability. This instability I would describe as when there is a script that keeps running no matter what the user does to stop it, though no error boxes come up. The program seems to be in a constant busy state.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then you should try Safe Mode.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

DanRaisch, we have not tried opening the program with only each of the remaining extensions yet. Anyway, after running my security programs, shutting down, cleaning out temporary files and restarting, I could not open the program under the profile I decided to use, the one under which I hadn't lost as much data. Once opened it would not let me switch back to that profile. So, I disabled all the addons to see if it lets me to switch back. The use of the other profiles does not help me much since they do not even partially help recover enough of what I lost. I was more interested in testing the profile I decided to use for having enough of the data I lost before the crash. At the moment with the program under that profile inaccessible, I am not even accessing my email much today. Having another email account on another site, it is a good thing that I did not link that account to SeaMonkey; and I do not think I ever will.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I am giving up on SeaMonkey and its garbage-filled profiles. Right now I only have two profiles available that allow me to open the program in them, neither of which allows me to send email. They both kick out my password. One of them has the email accounts configured with IMAP, which I never use. POP3 has always worked for me; so I am not going to switch away from a known quantity. From now on I will use webmail or my ISP homepage to access my email, and give up on these other programs to manage email.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, but, just so you're clear, the issue is not with SeaMonkey. Not clear from your posts what you have been doing wrong or misunderstanding but there are many folks successfully managing multiple email accounts in SeaMonkey, accessing different providers and often with a combination of POP and IMAP accounts in the same SeaMonkey profile.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

It is probably the folks who did the Windows 7 reinstallation. Probably they just wanted me to buy a new computer rather than restore this one. Other things do not work on this system too.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

troothteller wrote:It is probably the folks who did the Windows 7 reinstallation. Probably they just wanted me to buy a new computer rather than restore this one. Other things do not work on this system too.
troothteller,

If your operating system is messed up, nothing may help you here. There is one other possible way you can handle this and that would be to use SeaMonkey Portable and manually update your profile so that the info is inside your program files folder, not in c:\user, etc.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/ ... y_portable
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

SeaMonkey Portable sounds like its for either tablets or smarta**phones. Since it shows Windows compatibility I will keep it in mind. Meanwhile I am toying with the idea of going into the profiles I have to see if I can create a new one. You know how sometimes copying a corrupted document to a new area can fix the problem of opening? I thought of trying that with the profiles.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SeaMonkey Portable sounds like its for either tablets or smarta**phones.
It's not that at all. That would be a mobile version.

Why not try creating a new profile and just working in that for a time to see if any issues arise? If not you can then think about migrating data from the old profile(s).
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Fortunately I just located a folder that has the profiles that I already had before the crash. Unfortunately SeaMonkey cannot open them. I vaguely remember a repair procedure that I am going to try. It required creating new system folders and moving the icons for message folders. I have nothing else to do since so much doesn't work in this new installation of Windows 7. Someone on Microsoft's forum advised that I should have backed up everything and did the reinstallation myself. There is more than one of these profile folders that has the profile I used to access my SeaMonkey email folders; however, when I use them, they do not show those folders, only the Inbox and Trash. Right now I am researching how to repair these folders.
Last edited by troothteller on March 16th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.