Viewing EML Files

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Viewing EML Files

Post by orealius »

What's the best way to view the TB .EML Files? When I click on them in the Profiles and choose TB to open them I just get a main Folder (clicking on sent gives me a write message view)...not the eml files.

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Viewing EML Files

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

Thunderbird doesn't normally use *.eml files to store messages so it has limited support for them. It will create *.wdseml files. "Each file is a partial copy (up to 49KB) of a message in the mail folder, stored in a .mozmsgs subdirectory. It is used by Windows Search Integration (requires Vista or a later version of Windows). They're actually renamed .eml files. You can disable this feature by unchecking Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> System Integration -> "Allow Windows Search to search messages""

You can tell Thunderbird to save/export a message as a *.eml file using file -> save as -> file. The ImportExportTools add-on supports importing and exporting *.eml files.

When I double click on a *.eml file using file explorer I initially get a popup window asking what application to use to view it. if I select Thunderbird it displays it in a message window. A *.eml file stores only a single message, unlike a mbox file which stores all of the messages for a mail folder.

Are you trying to view *.wdseml files thinking they're used to store an entire message? If you can explain why you are trying to "view the TB .EML Files" I might be able to do a better job of helping you.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Trying to import old WLM .EML files into TB folders
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders . That add-on can also be used to import all of the .eml files in a directory or directory tree.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Gracias!