Make website fit on screeen next to sidebar?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Make website fit on screeen next to sidebar?

Post by semigeek »

Most websites resize themselves to the available width when a sidebar is displayed (I usually have bookmarks showing). A few don't, assuming they have my full screen witdth to themselves. Is there a way to fix that with userContent.css?
LIMPET235

Re: Make website fit on screeen next to sidebar?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
A "few of those site's" URL's would help.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

The width of the page display (or element within the page) can be written into the page code. By default, if the page code doesn't specify the width, it will adjust to the available width.

But width CAN be specified as a set width, in linear units (cm, inch, etc.), in pixels, or in % of available space. In such cases, the width will be used as specified and not vary with the available space.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Thanks. I don't need a bookmarklet to click on, because I can already solve the problem with ^B to hide the sidebar. I'm looking for an automatic solution, through css or a preference or extension.

The extension referred to in the mentioned thread no longer exists, and the bookmarklet (like everything here) seems to relate to text flow and margins, while the problem I encounter seems always to occur on pages with lots of images, or large images. I'm having trouble citing an example because it seems to occur less often with FF 52 now, which is good, and if I understood why that was it might help solve the others too. One site that had this problem in FF 28 but no longer does is: http://www.gov.gs/jan-18-newsletter/

Basically it seems to me that Firefox must be telling a site what my screen width is, and there should be a simple way to control whether it reports the physical or the current logical width.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

makaiguy wrote:The width of the page display (or element within the page) can be written into the page code.
Yes... although I found that hard to believe. I just identified a site that specifies the width of its two page elements as 229px and 971px! Why would someone assume that a fixed 1200px image will fit on my screen? It's just stupid. I've fixed this site with a line in userContent.css.