SMTP requiring password

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
JerryC58

SMTP requiring password

Post by JerryC58 »

Here lately I haven't been able to forward emails. When I hit send, it puts up a box asking for my email password. Then it doesn't recognize the password.

I have a gmail account set up as imap which has worked for years. It receives mail with no problem which tells me the password entered during setup is OK. I have been in tools/account settings and deleted the account and set it up again a couple times. Any ideas?

JC
makaiguy

Re: SMTP requiring password

Post by makaiguy »

Clarification: does this just happen when sending a reply? How about when sending a new message composed from scratch?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
JerryC58

Post by JerryC58 »

Sending a new message gives the same result.

I forgot to mention I am running Thunderbird on Linux Mint 18.3

JC
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

For sending it is the SMTP settings that matter, not the IMAP settings.

Menu Path:
[If running on Windows or OSX]: Tools | Account Settings, or
[If running on Linux]: Edit | Account Settings

.. then, in the left pane (if you have several accounts you may need to scroll down), Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Click your SMTP server and press Edit.

Server Name: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: OAuth2
User Name: your full gmail address

Note: You can also use "Normal password" for the Authentication method, but you must first log into your account's web page and enable "Allow apps that use less secure sign in".*

* In fact, OAuth2 may well be LESS secure than traditional methods. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth#Security
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

And one further thing. Make sure you have that account set up to use the Gmail SMTP server you have defined.

There are two parts to setting up smtp servers.
  1. Enter/edit the SMTP server parameters via the Outgoing Server link at the bottom of the left pane as mentioned above. You can choose which SMTP server you wish to have as your default here.
  2. For EACH incoming mail account shown above the Outgoing Servers in the left pane:
    • Click on the account name in the left pane. Choose the SMTP server to use for this account via the pulldown list at the bottom of the "Default Identity" section in the right pane. The only way your choice of default smtp server has any effect here is if you explicitly tell it to 'Use Default Server'; otherwise it will use whichever specific server is selected here.

Repeat for any additional identities you may have created in this account, if any. You access them via the "Manage Identities" button at the bottom of the right pane.
Doug Wilson
JerryC58

Post by JerryC58 »

You have solved my problem. Thank you so very much. The authentication method was incorrect.

JC