attaching specific files to a contact

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

attaching specific files to a contact

Post by fibrolan »

Good Afternoon !

I am not sure what I want to do can be done.
I have supplier in my address book and sometimes they will send me an updated pricelist or jpg or datasheets. I would like somehow to be able to tag it to the contact file so that when I bring up the contact I can find this price list right away and open it.

I used to have a CRM that allowed me to keep track of certain files that pertained to the specific contact. like pricing and jpg and data sheets.

If there a way to do this in thunderbird ?

i found a round about solution with the standard address book and gcontact sync installed . when editing a contact you have a tab called files. this is good but it means I must always open the contact and edit it to see these files.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Robert
DanRaisch

Re: attaching specific files to a contact

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no built in functionality for attaching files to address book contacts. There is an extension ( https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html ) that provides for attaching photos but the extension has been problematic when used with recent versions of Thunderbird. It's also not clear that it would support files of other than image formats.

What version of TB are you currently using?
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

I have morefunctions installed as well. I thought that there maybe an addon

i have the latest version of tb
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, then the compatibility issues with MoreFunctions could be a problem for you at some point.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

MoreFunctionsForAddressBook adds the Files tab to each contact, and you can attach any kind of file. I don't have gcontactsync installed. Plus, the Other tab has a Notes box for plain text.

A contact's details can also be accessed by clicking the contact in the Header Pane of a message.
klades

Post by klades »

I'm the author of the extension and I can confirm that you can "attach" any type of file.
A new version, fully compatible with Thunderbird 59, is upcoming, it will be ready in the next days.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

good morning !

thanks for the reply. is there a way to after attaching the files to retreive or open the files without opening the contact to edit it ? I am trying to figure the easiest way to find a contact and access the saved document needed.

in the new version can i attach a folder with the information within it. or only individual files ?

thanks
robert
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

I am trying to use Thunderbird with specific addons to create a mini but functional CRM
klades

Post by klades »

fibrolan wrote:good morning !

thanks for the reply. is there a way to after attaching the files to retreive or open the files without opening the contact to edit it ? I am trying to figure the easiest way to find a contact and access the saved document needed.

in the new version can i attach a folder with the information within it. or only individual files ?

thanks
robert
a) the last version 1.0b4 shows a button to open the files folder of the contact (if any) on the preview panel

b) you can attach just files, so to attach a folder you've to zip it
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just check that link to your web site and the latest version shown is 1.0b3. Is there another location from which to download the 1.0b4 version?
klades

Post by klades »

DanRaisch wrote:Just check that link to your web site and the latest version shown is 1.0b3. Is there another location from which to download the 1.0b4 version?
Now it's available on my website in the usual pages.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks, Paolo.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Hi I just downloaded the lastest version 1.04 and instaleld it. I now lost all my categoies. If I go to other data none of my categoies I have built over the last year shows up anymore. How do I get them back. This was a years worth of work.

Robert
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try disabling that extension.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

where do you do that ?