MozillaZine

Keeping "All Bookmarks" view open

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Andy_P

Post Posted March 8th, 2018, 6:24 am

I want to manage and tidy my bookmarks folder.
When I have done this in the past, I think "All Bookmarks" opened in a Firefox tab so you could click to open a bookmark in a new tab, but keep that list open so you kept your place in the bookmark tree.

Now, the only way to view the full bookmark tree seems to be to go to the drop-down bookmarks list, scroll down and select "Show all bookmarks" from the very bottom. This opens a *new window* (headed "Library") which does show the entire tree, but as soon as I select and open an entry, that window CLOSES, and if I repeat the process to open it again it has not remembered my position in the tree.

~Is there any way to keep that window open or show the folder tree in any other way?

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 8th, 2018, 6:55 am

Have you tried opening the bookmarks in a sidebar? Press Ctrl+B

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted March 10th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Andy_P wrote:I think "All Bookmarks" opened in a Firefox tab

Firefox's bookmarks manager never opened in a tab by default. This is bug 697359 which was filed 7 years ago.
You can open it in a tab by loading the following link. I have it bookmarked and at the top of the bookmarks menu.
Code: Select all
chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul

Andy_P wrote:"Library") which does show the entire tree, but as soon as I select and open an entry, that window CLOSES

Do you actually mean focus switches to the parent window once you open a bookmark? It's certainly not normal for the Library window to close after opening a bookmark, or for the bookmark you opened to no longer be selected there.

Return to Firefox Support