Can I install and run Firefox Quantum along side Firefox ESR

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
PeaceByJesus

Re: Can I install and run Firefox Quantum along side Firefox

Post by PeaceByJesus »

I Download Firefox Portable from PortableApps.com and installed it in my C drive, separate folder, and then in that folder i went to FirefoxPortable\Other\Source and copied the FirefoxPortable.ini file to the main FirefoxPortable folder. edited FirefoxPortable.ini with a text editor to change the line AllowMultipleInstances=false to AllowMultipleInstances=true.
Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/run-install ... -portable/

I saved the changes and ran Firefox Portable and now it runs alongside FF ESR. Praise the Lord!

But Firefox 58 is really lacking in the extensions I use.

Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by PeaceByJesus on March 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

PeaceByJesus wrote:

And that is why I still use the ESR and will be using it (not updating ESR to the version that kills off my extensions) ... until I'm happy with the newer Firefox version 'along' with sufficient extensions that mimic what I have now. I could live without a couple of my current ones but hey... I use around 40 extensions in here and I like them...they (the extensions) allow me to use Firefox as I like to use it... the new Firefox is just another Chrome without those extensions... and I'm not upgrading Firefox for the sake of just upgrading... know what mean?

You're Welcome! :D
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

dfoulkes, 40 extensions, WOW.

Six months before FF57 came out I took a hard look at my 34 extensions. As a result I
  1. Found I really didn't need 20, was just a habit.
  2. Of the 14 that remained 6 were ported.
  3. I found 4 replacements which provided the functionality of 5.
  4. FF57 has native capability that negated the need for the other 3.
I'm a happy camper on FF58 and have watched as the list of extensions grows by the day.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

And how much of a happy camper will you be when chief product officer Mark Mayo (Mr Quantum) yanks 'chrome' customization?..which I'll bet he will.

https://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-quant ... -in-reorg/
Last edited by mightyglydd on March 8th, 2018, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Welllll... maybe 38 extensions...40 was a round number :lol:

My intent in using ESR for now ... and keeping it active for as long as I can ... is to give devs. of extensions time to catch up and hopefully my most needed extensions will then be available. I check the add-on site from time to time but what I need (I know, I know...need vs want is a human weakness :D ) isn't there yet but I'm sure they will be in some form.

I don't dig into the internet as much as I used to so the tool that I use to do that with needs to be to my liking..if you know what I mean. Old folks like me just get pickier and pickier all the time :-"
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

mightyglydd wrote:And how much of a happy camper will you be when chief product officer Mark Mayo (Mr Quantum) yanks 'chrome' customization?..which I'll bet he will.

https://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-quant ... -in-reorg/
Pessimist. I guess I would be to if I lived in Hollywood. :wink:

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

dfoulkes wrote:
PeaceByJesus wrote:

And that is why I still use the ESR and will be using it (not updating ESR to the version that kills off my extensions) ... until I'm happy with the newer Firefox version 'along' with sufficient extensions that mimic what I have now. I could live without a couple of my current ones but hey... I use around 40 extensions in here and I like them...they (the extensions) allow me to use Firefox as I like to use it... the new Firefox is just another Chrome without those extensions... and I'm not upgrading Firefox for the sake of just upgrading... know what mean?

You're Welcome! :D
We are much of the same mind on this. The extensions I listed are ones that range from essential (from TabMixPlus to BBcodeXtra) to at least being ones I would miss (like FT deep dark and Lazarus) and I see nothing that FF 57+ offers that comes even close to warranting that being my main browser, though for testing purposes I have added it my the other browsers installed (from Waterfox to Brave).

Note that TabMixPlus did work for me with Nighty by following the instructions here: http://tabmixplus.org/support/troublesh ... abmix.html

But few really need multiple tab rows.

Last edited by PeaceByJesus on March 8th, 2018, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Yes BBcodeXtra is a real loss; however, being on a Mac I have an app called TextExpanser. I have programmed it to generate the same code snippets that BBcodeXtra did and insert then into text boxes.

I know this doesn't help those on WIN; but, you sometimes have to suffer your bad computer decisions. :wink:

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

RobertJ wrote:.
dfoulkes, 40 extensions, WOW.

Six months before FF57 came out I took a hard look at my 34 extensions. As a result I
  1. Found I really didn't need 20, was just a habit.
  2. Of the 14 that remained 6 were ported.
  3. I found 4 replacements which provided the functionality of 5.
  4. FF57 has native capability that negated the need for the other 3.
I'm a happy camper on FF58 and have watched as the list of extensions grows by the day.

And one study says 40% of Firefox users do not use extensions, which is fine if that it all they want out of a browser. Some people need no more than a mobile device (which I think is the prime reason for the decrease in FF users). But the attraction of Firefox is the additional functionality it has increasingly offered, which for me makes it vastly superior to Chrome (which does not even enable multiple tab rows, and last time I tried, I would not even switch Ctrl+Tab to toggle btwn last used tabs, or keep the search/find bar visible on all tabs). So while I thank God for those who made Firefox so exceedingly useful, I am not saying all others need such a multitool.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

PeaceByJesus wrote:And one study says 40% of Firefox users do not use extensions, which is fine if that it all they want out of a browser. ,,,,,,,
I do use 10 "must have" (for me) extensions.

EDIT: Besides that Google is evil and I would not trust their browser!

PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

RobertJ wrote:.
Yes BBcodeXtra is a real loss; however, being on a Mac I have an app called TextExpanser. I have programmed it to generate the same code snippets that BBcodeXtra did and insert then into text boxes.

I know this doesn't help those on WIN; but, you sometimes have to suffer your bad computer decisions. :wink:

"Bad computer decisions." Not that's a thread. Then the Linux lovers will chime in. :wink: But I thank God we can such options. Imagine if it was all government issue.
Last edited by PeaceByJesus on March 9th, 2018, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

PeaceByJesus wrote:Imagine if it was all government issue.