home page/ new tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
coolmanoh

home page/ new tabs

Post by coolmanoh »

My home page has been replaced by 6 icons: isp.netscape, youtube, ixquick,internet radio, idmb and forums.mozilla. I don't want 6 different home pages. I want only isp.netscape. How do I get it back?

Second topic: new tabs. Until yesterday, every new tab was blank, which is exactly what I want. For some reason, every new tab now looks like the home page I described above. I had this problem once before but none of the suggested fixes solved the problem. Is there a short tutorial on how to set up new tabs? I would use Help but the tool bar is also missing.

Additional comment: What do you do if you want to post on mozillaZine but can't because of password problems, you can't get a new password because the system won't send a link to your email and there is no way to contact the forum either by phone or email?
DanRaisch

Re: home page/ new tabs

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Close all tabs except one displaying the site you want to use as your home page. Then use menu path Tools->Options->General->Homepage->click on the button "Use current pages" to set that site.

2. See this article -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1186976

3. You can post in the MozillaZine Site Discussions forum as a guest, providing your registered user name and some information to help a Moderator find your account. That information could be the portion of your registered email that comes before the @ symbol. i.e. If your email address is whatever@somewhere.who, just include the whatever portion so your use account can be located.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that Activity Stream uses the same page for the home page (about:home) as for the new tab page (about:newtab).

You can disable the Activity Stream design for the default home page (about:home) and revert to the earlier design by setting this pref to false on the about:config page.
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.aboutHome.enabled = false

Note that this fallback will be removed in future Firefox versions.
coolmanoh

Post by coolmanoh »

Regarding DanRaisch suggestion "use menu path Tools->Options->General->Homepage->click on the button "Use current pages" to set that site."
I tried that but "use current page" tab was deactivated.

Regarding screenshot of new page: How do I put a screen shot in the Reply?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

smsmith

Post by smsmith »

coolmanoh wrote:Regarding DanRaisch suggestion "use menu path Tools->Options->General->Homepage->click on the button "Use current pages" to set that site."
I tried that but "use current page" tab was deactivated.
If the only tab in the window is the options, that button will be grayed out. If this is a work computer, they may have a policy in place to restrict what you can set for a home page and the button will be disabled.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
AndrewAM

Post by AndrewAM »

dickvl wrote:...

browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.aboutHome.enabled = false

Note that this fallback will be removed in future Firefox versions.
So we'll be stuck with activity-stream for home page and new tab page?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

For the new tab page there is an extension.
New Tab Override: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... -override/

I don't know if this extension can affect the home page since I'm not using this Add-on.

Bug 1433133 - Make Activity Stream the only built in page for Home and New Tab
Bug 1417155 - Add new Home / New Tab page preference section for default / blank / custom / add-on
Bug 1409054 - Properly get rid of old about:home

please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html
AndrewAM

Post by AndrewAM »

I use New Tab Override, and it works ok (nothing like TabMixPlus). But will the upcoming restrictions prevent this extension from working?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I have "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.aboutHome.enabled" equal to "True" right now in 58.0.2 but still have a chosen home page ( http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.ph ... unanswered ) with no extension involved.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Setting a custom home page still works in the usual way (drag a tab on the Home button or use Options/Preferences).
The changes are only about the builtin default about:home and about:newtab pages that will be gone and only the Activity Stream variant is left.
You can set what to show or hide on these pages via the cogwheel button in the top right corner.