Kill the sidebar icon (on toolbar) little box for good

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bob c

Kill the sidebar icon (on toolbar) little box for good

Post by bob c »

How do I ??? kill the sidebar box, that's up on the toolbar, for good? I do a customize, and drag the box down into the overflow menu, off the toolbar, if that's what you want to call it, and for some reason, sometime later, a day or maybe up to 3-4-5 days later it shows up on the toolbar again. I've customized my toolbar now, have enough icons up there, and don't use the side bar. How to get rid of that pesky icon for good, and keep it in there?
LIMPET235

Re: Kill the sidebar icon (on toolbar) little box for good

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Perhaps post a screen shot (link), to show exactly what you mean?
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

After you've taken the screen shot/s...
Reduce it/them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor, (Be sure to remove any personal info.)
& upload them to your favourite image hosting site.
> http://tinypic.com/ (If you use TinyPic, select "Message Board" from the "Resize" drop down.)
> https://imgur.com/
> https://imgbox.com/
> https://ctrlq.org/images/

&...Select the code listed as "Forum Thumbnail", copy the code and paste it in
the thread where you reported your problem.

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any sort of clean up utility, like Ccleaner?
bob c

Post by bob c »

Do I really need to do all of that. I'm just talking about a little icon, (like the ones you put up on the toolbar for options, back-forward-find-library), these little icons. I drag the sidebar icon off the toolbar up there into the overflow customize window that you have to open to put it in there (so it doesn't show on the toolbar), and as in my 1st post, later it show back up there. Should it not just stay gone.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Help > Troubleshooting Info > Open Folder Container button and close Firefox. Rename xulstore.json in your profile to xulstore1.json and then restart Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
bob c

Post by bob c »

Frank Lion wrote:Help > Troubleshooting Info > Open Folder Container button and close Firefox. Rename xulstore.json in your profile to xulstore1.json and then restart Firefox.

This is infuriating. I'm gonna take my gun & shoot that icon. Have done this now on my and wife's profile. The icon came back after just 1 day.

Can you think of anything else to try. I have no idea why it's not staying down in the customize page where you drag it off the toolbar.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you running any sort of clean up utility, like Ccleaner?
bob c

Post by bob c »

DanRaisch wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Are you running any sort of clean up utility, like Ccleaner?

Yes, and it is set to run auto a couple time a day by being initialized by Win7 task scheduler. But it has no settings "on" for Firefox. Because of all the things wife does when on the computer, I notice a long time ago with Win7, for some reason, on my system, would leave mounds of garbage in the Windows temp folder, and leave it there never deleting it. Since I had CC all the way back to Win95-98, somewhere in there, but never used it for this, even though I kept it updated. I set it to run auto a couple times a day, to delete the Windows temp file, since Win7 was doing such a poor job of it. Does a good job of doing that. Worthless if somebody wanted to try and use it to clean the Win registry. I do a better job of searching and taking anything out on my own.

Think there's a connection with CC?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are many threads on these forums reporting problems which are finally determined to have been caused by Ccleaner removing elements that Firefox needs to run properly, including things like revised config settings. That might not be the case here but Ccleaner has been sited as problematic often enough to make it among the obvious questions in this type of problem.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Have you tried a right-click on that Show sidebars button and use Remove from Toolbar?

That always works for me to get those toolbar icons removed permanently, and hidden in the Customize Palette.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
bob c

Post by bob c »

the-edmeister wrote:Have you tried a right-click on that Show sidebars button and use Remove from Toolbar?

That always works for me to get those toolbar icons removed permanently, and hidden in the Customize Palette.

OK thanks for everyone's suggestions. I have done a trial now, leaving the CC setup to delete the temp files, (runs 3 times a day-nothing to do with FF-just Win7 temps), and used your suggestion of the right click, and used the program to do it, instead of me dragging the icon off. Been 2 days now in both of our profiles, and it has stayed gone in both. Sure seems to have done it. Thanks.