ISP spam folder

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

ISP spam folder

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
I found out this morning that my ISP(Rogers) has been diverting emails from my Inbox to my Spam folder. They've also told me that they can't (or won't) stop it from doing so. I don't suppose there's any way that SeaMonkey can be made to view and/or download messages from this Spam folder?
Thanks,
..... john
makaiguy

Re: ISP spam folder

Post by makaiguy »

Set the account up to use the IMAP protocol whivh can access all the folders on the server. The old POP3 protocol only defines how to access the Inbox folder.

See this article for help: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Convert_a_POP ... AP_account
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
I have backed up the old account, and created the IMAP account, but it's not sending or downloading anything. Do I have to change any of the settings for the new account, i.e. port(s), server names, security, etc.?
..... john
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The port for IMAP is usually 143, and the port for SMTP might be 25 or 1025, or something else. Ask your service provider.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks. Is the SMTP port normally the same as for POP?
... john
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

shakushinnen wrote:Thanks. Is the SMTP port normally the same as for POP?
... john
Yes, you're using the same identical SMTP server so the settings are the same.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks Doug,
..... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thank you for helping me to get the IMAP account up and running.
There are a couple of things I'm concerned about.
1. There is no folder called SPAM, which is the one on my ISP's site that I want to check.
2. There doesn't seem to be any option to "Fetch the headers only"
Any help is appreciated.
... john
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

To determine which folders TBird will manage, right-click the account name in the left pane, then click "Manage folder subscriptions" on the right. Mark the folders you wish to see in TBird and hit the "Subscribe" button.

With IMAP fetch headers only is done by default . The message body remains on the server, not your local computer, and is only retrieved when you want to read the message -- it is placed in memory for access, but not stored to local disk. This default means that if you don't have a current internet online connection, you will not be able to access the body of any messages.

If you want to be able to view message bodies when offline, you can also have TBird keep a local message set. In your server settings, click "Synchronization & Storage", then put a check in "Keep messages for this account on this computer". With the "Advanced" button you can pick which server folders you'd like to include. It will only show you this set of messages when you are offline; when online it synchronizes the local set with the set on the server. This synchronization works both ways -- any messages deleted while online will be deleted both from the server and locally; any messages deleted from the local set while offline will be deleted from the server the next time you connect online via TBird.
Doug Wilson
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
Thanks for replying. I'm using SeaMonkey mail, but I'll assume it's similar to T-bird, wrt to what your saying.
....... I see the folders list, but 'SPAM' is not among them.
....... So, the messages I see are only on my ram? And how is the message retrieved?. Does hitting reply, or forward, etc. retrieve it?
I never read/reply to messages off line, so that's not an issue.
I get the feeling that IMAP is quite different from POP?
..... john
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Is there a folder called Junk? That is for spam.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

In IMAP, folder names are whatever they are called on the server. TBird calls spam "Junk" but your server may have its own name for it (Spam, Bulk, whatever). You may have to log into your account's web access using SeaMonkey's browser function to see what the folder names are.

Yes, POP3 and IMAP represent different approaches to handling email.
Doug Wilson
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug/Anonymosity,
I do not have a folder named Spam in my IMAP folder list, but I do have one on my webmail site.
(I do however have a Junk and Bulk folder in my IMAP folder list.)
...... john
Last edited by shakushinnen on March 12th, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
One other question ....... Does hitting reply, or forward, or simply clicking on the message, download it to my computer?
..... john
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi Doug/Anonymosity,
I do not have a folder named Spam in my IMAP folder list, but I do have one on my webmail site.
(I do however have a Junk and Bulk folder in my IMAP folder list.)
...... john
To quote from one of my earlier posts in this thread:
To determine which folders TBird will manage, right-click the account name in the left pane, then click "Manage folder subscriptions" on the right. Mark the folders you wish to see in TBird and hit the "Subscribe" button.
If you don't see the Spam folder in this list, try creating it manually. First, check via webmail whether the Spam folder is a subfolder under your Inbox (typically this would be shown as indented to the right beneath Inbox), or whether it is a primary folder on the same level as Inbox.

Then in Tbird's left column, Right-click on the account name then Create New Folder. In the popup dialog enter a folder name of Spam. Below that click on your account name. If you found Spam to be a primary folder just click the account name again. If you found Spam to be a subfolder of Inbox, then click the your account name (with the > at the right end) to expand the folder list, then click on Inbox. Now click Create Folder.
Doug Wilson