[SOLVED] How to change firefox menu font style? [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ginahoy

[SOLVED] How to change firefox menu font style? [Linux.]

Post by ginahoy »

I recently built a new Linux machine. I noticed a big difference in the Firefox bookmarks & menu font compared to my XP machine (monitors are the same). On the Linux machine, the font is larger so fewer bookmarks appear on the toolbar and more are pushed off to the 'show more' list. Also, Linux Firefox menus and bookmarks use a serif font whereas XP Firefox uses sans-serif. The versions are slightly different (v52ESR vs v55) but I don't think that's what's going on here.

Is there a setting in FF where I can change the font style and size? Or is FF getting its font spec from the Linux Desktop? (LinuxMint 18.2 xfce)

BTW, I found several references re: config setting layout.css.devPixelsPerPx, but that setting also changes the content and doesn't allow me to change the font style.
Last edited by ginahoy on March 16th, 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ginahoy

Re: how to change firefox menu font style

Post by ginahoy »

I just discovered the default font on the Preferences / Content tab DOES change the font style for FF menus and bookmark labels (despite this setting being on the Content tab!). However, the font size only affects web pages.

Now if I can just figure out how to change the font size on the menus & bookmarks.
Last edited by ginahoy on April 6th, 2018, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Re: How to change firefox menu font style? [Linux.]

Post by Grumpus »

Try looking at "Appearance" in the Control Panel and see if the system shows the font changes.
There should be a couple of tabs which do things like smoothing, and size plus set the default font for the system titles, text, pane;s ets.
With Mint this usually carries over somewhat so do a little searching.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ginahoy

Re: How to change firefox menu font style? [Linux.]

Post by ginahoy »

Since this appears to be an O/S issue, I posted my question in the Linux Mint forum. Thanks.
ginahoy

Re: [SOLVED] How to change firefox menu font style? [Linux.]

Post by ginahoy »

Just got the answer in mint forum: added font specification to UserChrome.css

Code: Select all

/* Change ALL the FF GUI fonts */
 *  {
    font-size:      9.5pt      !important;
    font-family:    sans        !important;     /* */
    }
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks for the code it should help folks who don't have the control center choices.
Apparently my version of Linux Mint and 59 allow for the font size changes for the different window components.
It's under /Control Center/Appearance/Fonts - which allow for the individual font choice:
Application Fonts; Document; Desktop; Window Title Font and Fixed width font and each could be different in font and size.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

I'm running xfce, which doesn't have anything close to Control Center. I'm new to Linux. I opted for xfce because it's supposed to be lightweight, yet provide maximum user configurability. I don't think so.
James

Post by James »

Xfce would be Settings > Settings Manager.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

@James, I'm aware of the Fonts tab in Settings Manager / Appearance but it only has a setting for "Desktop Default Font", which doesn't affect applications. Nothing like what Grumpus described. In any case, I was able to modify the font style in from FF preferences and modify the font size in the css file, as noted above.