Deleting cookies one by one

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
elji

Deleting cookies one by one

Post by elji »

About once a month, I clean up my cookies, deleting most of them, and only keeping a few from websites I really need.

I'm using Firefox Developer's Edition 60.0b2 and I've just had a bad surprise. I'm not sure the change came with this release, though, but it seems you can't delete cookies anymore by using the Delete key on your computer. Now, you must select one cookie, and then click on "Remove selected", which makes the whole process much slower. Before that, you could just select one cookie, and delete cookies one by one, just by using repeatedly the Delete key, eventually using the down arrow key if there was one you wanted to keep. It was way faster. Why was that changed?

Am I the only one to regularly clean up my cookies?
DanRaisch

Re: Deleting cookies one by one

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are discussed.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox 60 dont own such dialog any more. not in dev edition nor beta.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/26/mozil ... irefox-60/
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Brummelchen wrote:firefox 60 dont own such dialog any more. not in dev edition nor beta.
You mean using Tools > Page Info > View Cookies in the Security tab, select a cookie and press the Delete key doesn't work for you?

It does for me using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0 ID:20180313100127.

You do have to have the web site loaded.

Using Options > Privacy & Security > Manage Data only shows how many cookies there are for a site and the user risks removing them all.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

that is surely possible, but no longer with current dialog in v59 settings > security > cookies (only exceptions).

to answer his question about this dialog - DEL-key (german: entf) ist still working, but not backspace als delete.
he did not point out which dialog he is speaking about, sorry. for my convenience i use a cookie extension from chrome (converted)
elji

Post by elji »

Brummelchen wrote:firefox 60 dont own such dialog any more. not in dev edition nor beta.
This is it, thanks for info. I'm very surprised, and disappointed. I mean developers should add features to make software better, not remove features, even if actually used by a small minority. The DEL key is now useless, and I'll have to install an extension to regain individual cookie management. OK, I'll deal with that, but I don't like it. Maybe I'll go back to an older version if I can't find an extension I like...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Maybe I'll go back to an older version if I can't find an extension I like...
That would not be wise. Each update will usually include fixes for known browser security concerns. Reverting to an older version will leave the program open to all of the security threads addressed in newer versions.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

The DEL key is now useless
you mean using Tools > Page Info > View Cookies in the Security tab, select a cookie and press the Delete key doesn't work for you?
not in this dialog, working for me.
if not working for you then there may be mismatch between extensions and firefox - disable all and enable one by one, if you have found the causing extension.
Diago

Post by Diago »

elji wrote:Am I the only one to regularly clean up my cookies?
No, I think we're not. For me the good things going forward in Firefox still win and I found Cookie AutoDelete to do the hard work automatically. Then using Cookie Manager I monitor the remaining cookies. I find this a much better and detailed interface especially since using containers.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

and I found Cookie AutoDelete
+1
cookie managers are growing, nice. since quantum beta i use another one because there was none that time. still working in v61/60 where the options in settings are reduced.
elji

Post by elji »

Brummelchen wrote:
The DEL key is now useless
you mean using Tools > Page Info > View Cookies in the Security tab, select a cookie and press the Delete key doesn't work for you?
not in this dialog, working for me.
if not working for you then there may be mismatch between extensions and firefox - disable all and enable one by one, if you have found the causing extension.
It isn't working for me, and I don't have any extension. I'm on Windows 10.
Diago wrote:
elji wrote:Am I the only one to regularly clean up my cookies?
No, I think we're not. For me the good things going forward in Firefox still win and I found Cookie AutoDelete to do the hard work automatically. Then using Cookie Manager I monitor the remaining cookies. I find this a much better and detailed interface especially since using containers.
Good to know, thank you. I'll try them now. It will be my first extension. I once had plenty, but I deleted them all 2 years ago nor to make things faster, but I need individual cookie control on my business profile.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I'm using Firefox Developer's Edition 60.0b2
start a new profile - and forget firefox 60 dev-edition for your purpose. use the general beta or stick with the final as you are clueless!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
elji

Post by elji »

You're quite right saying I could use the standard edition of firefox. I'm only using the dev edition, because I often need to use 2 profiles at the same time. I'm using firefox 59.0.1 for my normal surfing, and the dev edition for my business profile which I only use for a few (but very important) websites.

Thanks for the info regarding how to "cherry picking" a profile's contents. Didn't know this was possible.