Performance problem with one profile

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pokeefe0001

Performance problem with one profile

Post by pokeefe0001 »

The description below makes not sense (to me) so is probably inaccurate but hopefully somebody will be able to help me debug this in spite of the inaccurate description.

I have Firefox installed on 3 Windows 10 computers - 58.0.2 on two of them (as of yesterday) , 57.0.4 on the other. On one of the computers following a reboot I experience extremely slow page loading when using my default FireFox profile. By "extremely slow" I mean from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to display the first Google page. (The 2 minutes is pretty rare; the 30 seconds is typical.) Sometimes I will see "Waiting for TLS handshake" displayed for many seconds. Most of the time it will be "Waiting for www.google.com.

While this display is going on I can bring up FireFox (on the same computer) using a different profile and experience no more than a second or two delay pulling up the same web page - Google's, in this example. Once the page is (finally!) displayed I experience no more delays using either profile.

This problem has been happening for several weeks and happens only on one of my 3 computers. There was no obvious maintenance applied when it started happening (although Windows maintenance. I had just moved the computer from a Powerline connection to cabled Ethernet but I don't think either the computer or router know the difference. And the router certainly knows nothing about the FireFox profile.

I suspected it might be my security software - Kaspersky Internet Security - but I disabled it to no effect.

Anyone have any ideas how I should diagnose and fix this?
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
DanRaisch

Re: Performance problem with one profile

Post by DanRaisch »

I suspected it might be my security software - Kaspersky Internet Security - but I disabled it to no effect.
That would be extremely unusual because, while Kaspesky has been identified as problematic at times, it would not cause problems preferentially on one profile while another works without issues.

Using that problem profile, does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

therube

Post by therube »

Check the date/time of the goog-*.* files in your Profile/safebrowsing/ directory.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

files in your Profile/safebrowsing/ directory.
or delete folder complete, will be recreated next Firefox-start
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

As near as I can tell, that was just made available yesterday. I'll wait a bit to let others run into new bugs.
Brummelchen wrote:
files in your Profile/safebrowsing/ directory.
or delete folder complete, will be recreated next Firefox-start
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Patrick O'Keefe
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that such issues also can be a problem with IPv6 being enabled.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/error_loading_websites
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

dickvl wrote:Note that such issues also can be a problem with IPv6 being enabled.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/error_loading_websites
But if that were the problem it should happen with any profiles. In fact, I have IPv6 enabled on all 3 computers. Firefox and Thunderbird are my only programs that seem to care, but they they have successfully been using IPv6 for years.

There have been a few times (but not for months) that either Windows or my router loses IPv6 support - Windows claims it supports IPv6 but does not have IPv6 internet connectivity - and I then have Firefox delays when establishing a new connection. It goes through a timeout before giving up on IPv6 and switching to IPv4. But that effects all profiles and all IPv6 connections.
Patrick O'Keefe
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't see anywhere where you perform Firefox safe-mode for that one profile... as Dan suggested above ... that needs to be done ... report back with what happened.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i have ipv6 enabled because my provider is using it - firefox is doing well.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Hmm. A thread update of mine seems to have gone into the bit bucket. If it shows up later this will be a duplicate posting.

The problem did not appear in safe-mode ... which is sort of strange since the multiple profiles all have the same extensions and plugins. The problem reappeared in unsafe-mode but with all add-ons disabled. (I'm not sure about the Kaspersky extension since it cannot be disabled in FireFox; it has to be disabled from withing the Kaspersky options. But FireFox said it was disabled.)

The next step should probably be to remove the plugins rather than just disabling them but I think I will uninstall FireFox and all its associated AppData stuff, copy profiles from another computer (that does not exhibit the problem), and reinstall FireFox.

By the way, I could not find a /safebrowsing/ directory in any profile. I did find some safebrowsing records in prefs.js. Do I delete those records?
Patrick O'Keefe
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you try to disable hardware acceleration and possibly set the content process count to 1?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pe ... e-settings
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I seem to have fixed things.

I decided I would delete everything and start from scratch (where "scratch" would be based on profiles from another computer). But I might as well try a Refresh first. (I misread the description and thought it was going to remove a lot more than it did. I would have tried it weeks ago if I had read correctly.) All I had to do afterwards was reinstall two extensions - NoScript and AdBlock Plus, and re-enable the Kaspersky extension. I'll probably eventually find that I I've been using some forgotten configuration changes but I can live with that. I no longer have the peculiar Google delay.
Patrick O'Keefe