menu bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
drawoh

menu bar

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

When Firefox updated to 59.0.1 the menu bar stopped appearing on start up. When I go to the menu-options in the upper right corner and click customize, I find the menu bar and click "done."
The menu bar appears. But when I close out and start again, the menu bar does not appear. How can I make it appear permanently?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: menu bar

Post by DanRaisch »

Try Alt+V(iew) then click on Toolbars->Menu bar.
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Your suggestion brings up the menu bar, but does not help to bring it up again the next time I start Firefox. Firefox 59.0.1 so far has not allowed me to permanently have a menu bar.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is Firefox installed under a Windows Administrator account?
Are you running any cleanup utility like Ccleaner?
What security software are you running on that system?
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. (1) There is no Windows Admin Account, (2) I do not use C Cleaner, and (3) I use Eset software security (for seven years).

Am I the only one this is happening to? OMG

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just about, yes.

So let me ask that question a different way. Does your Windows acct have administrator privileges?
therube

Post by therube »

Do you have a user.js file in your Profile folder?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

(1) I have administrator privileges

(2) I have two profile folders, neither has a user.js file
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Right click the toolbar, choose Customize. In the tab that opens, click the Restore Defaults button. Put the buttons back where you want them, turn the menubar back on and close that tab by clicking the Done button (lower right). Close and restart Firefox. Did the menubar stay when Firefox reopened?

What extensions do you have installed? Perhaps one of them is not playing nicely with Fx 59 even though it did with previous versions.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

I restored defaults, put the buttons back, turned the menu bar on and clicked done, restarted--but the menu bar was not turned on when I restarted.

My extensions are (1) Color Tabs (2) Easy You Tube (3) Flash and Video (4) Savefrom. net helper (5) Theme Font and Size Changer.

Also, when Firefox updated to 59.0.1, not only did the menu bar not turn on, but the buttons that I had set previously had changed. This was all due to the update.

Thanks.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I don't think that Theme Font and Size Changer works anymore, so you might try disabling that one, close and restart Firefox, turn the menubar back on, close and restart and see if the menubar stays. Do the same procedure with your other extensions, too, just in case it's one of them, instead, causing the problem.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

I disableed all my extensions but the menu bar still does not appear when I open the browser. Maybe I'll have to get used to turning on the menu bar each time.

Thanks
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

In Firefox, open Help -> Trooubleshooting Infomation. In the tab that opens, find the Open Folder button next to Profile Folder in the Application Basics section. Pressing that button will open a file explorer window to your profile folder. Close Firefox. In the profile folder, find and either delete or rename the file called xulstore.json. That file is the one that remembers things like toolbar state, window size and position, etc. between Firefox restarts. When you open Firefox, it will look like the default Firefox again. You'll need to move your buttons back where they belong and turn the menubar again. But hopefully this will be the last time. Close and restart Firefox and see if the menubar stayed put this time.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
drawoh

Post by drawoh »

Hi,

I followed your directions and found the xulstore.json folder. When I tried to delete it I got the message: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program."

I closed the Firefox Profile Folder and opened it again using the Windows-Start-Search menu. I tried again and got the same message.

Also, beneath the xulstore.json folder was another folder--xulstore.json.tmp.

Thanks