"Your connection is not secure" Ah, yes, it is

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: "Your connection is not secure" Ah, yes, it is

Post by Brummelchen »

Firefox is doing right. James gave you a link where you can read about disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender.
If not Bitdefender, then a proxy or anything else, but NOT Firefox. you can trust out words, its always the same.
proxy may result of chines government, you to check your locale provider. IMO china is going to build a "great wall" for the web.

if that may have no result on your system, open your profile with -> about:support -> open folder, close firefox and rename a cert9.db to cert9.old and restart firefox. (maybe damaged or filled with wrong data)
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Thank you Brummelchen. Your help (and others') is most appreciated.
You wrote: “James gave you a link where you can read about disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender.
Ok this is what it says and this is what I did:
It says: Besides having the wrong date/time on the system some antivirus clients can cause issues with secure connections with Firefox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ecure-mean
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... itdefender
Also about Bitdefender. It says, " bring up the main Bitdefender interface, click on Settings from the upper right toolbar - From Settings Overview choose Privacy Control."
There is no such thing, there is no "Privacy Control" option under my free version of Bitdefender. My choices are, Events, Quarantine, Exclusions, Protection, Account info and Help & Support (And no, neither ‘Exclusions’ or ‘Protection’ gives me Privacy Control or any real option)
I did the Bitdefender thing BUT as I had written in my version it said: “In Bitdefender security products you can disable the interception of secure connections:
1. Open the dashboard of your Bitdefender application.
2. For the 2016 version of the Bitdefender security product, click on Modules.
For the 2015 version of Bitdefender, click on Protection.
3. Click on Web Protection.
4. Toggle off the Scan SSL setting. ”

There is no ‘Modules’ or ‘Protection’ tab anywhere or anything else that says such a thing nor anywhere else whereby I can click or see anything to do with Web Protection or SSL.

You then wrote: “ If not Bitdefender, then a proxy or anything else, but NOT Firefox. You can trust out words, it’s always the same. Proxy may result of Chinese government, you to check your locale provider. IMO china is going to build a "great wall" for the web.
About Proxy it says:
“To check your connection settings in Firefox:
1. Click the menu button and choose Options.
2. In the General panel, go down to the Network Proxy section.
3. In the Network Proxy section, click Settings….
4. Change your proxy settings:
o If you don't connect to the Internet through a proxy (or don't know whether you connect through a proxy), select No Proxy. ”

I changed it to “No Proxy” again nothing changed (I have put it back to how it was).

You also wrote: “If that may have no result on your system, open your profile with -> about:support -> open folder, close Firefox and rename a cert9.db to cert9.old and restart firefox. (maybe damaged or filled with wrong data).”
I did so and again nothing.
I am not really sure about what you said at the end: “Proxy may result of Chinese government, you to check your locale provider. IMO china is going to build a "great wall" for the web.”
How I would check my local provider here, it being Chinese and therefore under the control of the government is beyond me.
Check for malware: I did. It is not the problem.

I do feel, as you mentioned, that Bitdefender may have something to do with it, but as said twice the advice given does not seem to apply to my version. BTW I have 3 versions of Mozilla browsers and this happens to Firefox only and not Cyberfox, nor Waterfox, nor CLIQz nor other browser. This again begs the question regarding Proxy, Bitdefender, malware, my local provider etc. How can they not affect 7 browsers (above + IE, Edge, Chrome, Opera ) but affect FF?

Here is how my Bitdefender looks like: Image

Thanks again.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

IE, Edge, Chrome and derivates (which include opera and vivaldi and other) use the same cert store - from system. firefox is the only one which need to import a cert to its own database (cert9.db).
oopps - you are using an outdated build -> "Firefox/56.0", then its "cert8.db"

man - speaking about security and ssl while your firefox is vulnerable is pointless. any reason for you to stay on this older build?
we also can help out for extensions.

ssl scanning means that antivirus need to break up the ssl encrypted data, scan it, and encrypt it again because firefox expects ssl encrypted data, thus firefox need the antivirus cert(ificate) to verify its (repacked) origin.

switching bitdefender ssl:
https://www.bitdefender.com/support/wha ... -1090.html

but i found an article which says that the free ed. has no httpS protection thus you probably wont find it as you wrote
https://dottech.org/105687/windows-revi ... e-edition/

have you tried the cert8 renaming as recommended?
or try a new profile to avoid any mismatch and wrong settings

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

more after testing!
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Hi Brummelchen
According to my Firefox I do have the latest version. Why did you think I hadn't? Mine is Quantum ver. 59.0.2 (64bit)
as to; "have you tried the cert8 renaming as recommended?" Yes, I have. Did I fail to mention it?
And we now can confirm that though perhaps Bitdefender may be the culprit there is nothing I can do about it with the free edition (I have written to Bitdefender about it).
OK so then I created a new profile and did exactly as intructed. (Images shown were not exactly as mine though close enough. I made sure to tick or untick everything told. According to the instructions the next time I opened Firefox it would give me a choice to which of the 2 profiles I wold want. I clicked to open it and immediately a window from Bitdefender popped up telling me about the security certificates. A pause and then I clicked on OK to accept it which then closed FIrefox. I had to then reopen it manually and NO I did NOT get a choice as to which of the 2 profiles to choose. It chose the new one automatically. Obviously it came up empty: no bookmarks, plugins, etc. On the good side I went to 3 websites, 2 banks and NHL and voila, problem seems to be solved. :-) OK good but how do I get my old one back? Why would I want to do so? Well for now all I care about is the pages I had on them (About 20 tabs). Once I get those back I could permanently return to the new one.
Thanks
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi pintree3,
You said...
Hi Brummelchen
According to my Firefox I do have the latest version. Why did you think I hadn't? Mine is Quantum ver. 59.0.2 (64bit)
But....According to your User Agent, you're on...
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

So....Unless you're running a few versions....as well as Cyberfox....?
One can only go by what is displayed or told.

To retrieve any of your old Bookmarks etc., please ref; this article on how & what to transfer over.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i feel fooled, so i am out and no longer willing to help, sorry.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 Cyberfox/52.6.1
as suggested a new profile is mandatory with firefox Quantum - Quantum profiles are not backwards compatible to pre-Quantum firefox (<57)
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Hi Brummelchen,
Why do you feel fooled? You have been of great help. Or were you being sarcastic? :-)
LIMPETT235: you wrote, "But....According to your User Agent, you're on..." I'm assuming that somewhere here you are able to tell where I am writing from. Well, in that case yes it is probably Cyberfox that I have been using to write to you guys here mainly because, as initiated here, Firefox has been problematic.
You also wrote: "To retrieve any of your old Bookmarks etc., please ref; this article on how & what to transfer over.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox'
I went there and it is quite technical. Mainly I saw how to back up stuff before changing profiles Which I did not do since I thought it wasn't necessary (The literature did say I was going to have 2 choices and I didn't--and Brummelchen mentioning that to Quantum profiles are not backward compatible to preQuantum Firefox should not have applied in my case because it was/is not preQuantum)
Anyhow. if I understood correctly history and bookmarks (all I need is my history since bookmarks were backed up) are stored in a file called "places.sqlite" well I have 2 such files both different sizes but both same date. And I would not know what to do with them anyway--not computer savvy enough. But again it does not really say how to restore on that page if you haven't already backed up what is needed.
Any further advice? So far a choice would be to go back to a Windows restore point which hopefully is not too far behind.
thnx again
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi pintree3,
Well, if you look at the bottom RHS of any reply, you'll see a line like this...
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 Cyberfox/52.6.1
This is your User Agent.
As you can see, this is from your last......^...... post.
Check your post from > Fri 6th Apr 2018 01:43:32 pm where you posted the image to Bitdefender,
just a few up & that is when you were using Firefox v56 as I posted.

You can Import your Bookmarks to the new Profile as html.
The link tells you how to do so & exactly what files you need.
Do not do a Windows Restore.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Hi Limpet3 and thanks. Do note however, that I said I don't care about bookmarks since I already have those (and have them on other mentioned browsers as well) but rather it is my history which I desperately need (medical stuff). My history is of primal importance, plugins, settings and bookmarks are secondary.
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

update: Luckily there is a copy of my old profile which means I will be able to restore my history (I assume). Now all I gotta do is find out which file is the history file so I can restore it to my new profile. I hope to find this out before bothering any of you guys again. If I do I will let you know.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The bookmarks and history are both stored in places.sqlite, so if you restore this file then your bookmarks will be reset to the ones in that places.sqlite file.
You may want to create a backup, either a JSON backup or an HTML backup.
Note that restoring a JSON backup will replace all bookmarks.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... -move-them
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Hi dickvl. Thank you. Well something is just not working the way it is supposed to. Having noticed that the profile folder had to subfolders I made back ups of the files mentioned and placed one into the other and nothing. Thinking I placed moved the wrong one I did the reverse (instead of from folder A to folder B I did from B to A). and still nothing. I went back to a windows restore point. All was as it was supposed to be, :-) I then copied the folders again. also downloaded MozBackup and backed up my history and plugins only and made a pcv file. I then reverted to my present restore point placing me back to where I was. OK cool all the history etc disappeared as they should be and I could see my Firefox as it was once I had replaced the profile. I then use Mozbackup to restore. Open Mozilla Firefox and nothing has changed. No history, no anything. That's OK I now have all the folders backed up (copied) anyways so I go and place the places.sqlite file and again nothing. I then also copy places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal and nothing again. I then places inside the other profile folder and again nothing. What is going on?
(BTW reverting to a restore point and then back, because of my BitDefender, was a real hastle. The whole process took a few hours and it now seems I may have to do so again.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You did place the files in the AppData\Roaming location?
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\

Note that you normally only need places.sqlite, but you need to make sure to remove existing places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal temp files.

Note that it is easier to use a utility to browse Windows restore points to find an older copy of places.sqlite.
http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mozbackup is abandonware, told as "buggy" from author. and ofc MUST fail on quantum.
SHM and WAL are temporary files to merge, they should not be present after firefox exiting.
in any other case firefox was crashing.
and i already wrote that profiles from v59 are not backward compatible, guess why i have to repeat it.

its hard to help people not proper reading or doing on their own.
pintree3

Post by pintree3 »

Aaah, where is my reply to you guys?