ISP spam folder

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

Re: ISP spam folder

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
Alright, I created the Spam folder; but strangely enough the Spam identified by my web mail account is now showing up in my Bulk Mail folder. Oh well, problem solved.
Thank you very much for your patience and guidance.
...... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
I find IMAP to be very slow, much slower than POP.
Is that the experience of others?
..... john
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

IMAP is a touch slower in displaying messages because the message bodies are stored on the server and must be downloaded in order to display them. On a system with decent connections it shouldn't be all that noticable unless the sever itself is over-commited and thus slow.

Don't know if this affects SeaMonkey, but when I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 I found my IMAP accounts on Thunderbird got very sluggish. What solved it for me was:

Tools | Options | Advanced | General
UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
Well, I applied, what I think is, Windows 7 equivalent of "UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages" and set "Clean up Inbox on exit" in SeaMonkey mail, which was recommended somewhere else. And those two seem to have sped things up considerably. I think now I'm getting the hang of it, and am beginning to see the advantages of IMAP.
Thanks again for your help.
.... john
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

shakushinnen wrote:I applied, what I think is, Windows 7 equivalent of "UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages"
I think you meant the Seamonkey equivalent
and set "Clean up Inbox on exit" in SeaMonkey mail, which was recommended somewhere else. And those two seem to have sped things up considerably. I think now I'm getting the hang of it, and am beginning to see the advantages of IMAP.
Thanks again for your help.
.... john
I'm glad it's all working out for you. That's what we do around here.. try to help each other as much as possible.

For me, the biggest benefit of IMAP is that all three of the devices I use for email (desktop computer, phone, and tablet) all have access to the same messages without me having to jump through a bunch of different hoops.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
No, I must have misunderstood your comment about what to UNcheck. I thought you were referring to Windows 10; so I looked for the equivalent in Windows 7.
In Windows 7 Folder Options "What to search" there are two choices:
"In indexed locations, search the names and contents. In non indexed locations, search the file names only" or "Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes)" I chose the first option.
Yes, I can see what you mean about it's advantages to you. For me, it's simply that IMAP more accurately reflects what's in my ISP's online mail folders
..... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
The IMAP works pretty well on the whole. Every once in a while I get this "The current operation on 'Bulk Mail' did not succeed. The mail server for account IMAP responded: [UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages." and am unable to get or send mail for a while, usually no more than a day. I've scanned the net for an answer, but most people seem to say that it's one of those things that comes and goes and don't really know what to do about it. Do you have any thoughts about it?
Thanks,
...... john
P.S. We're talking about SeaMonkey mail here.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

John, I tried IMAP for a while and didn't like the automatic actions it was taking, plus the fact it is slower. I went back to POP, happily.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Pete,
I must admit I prefer POP. Yes, it is much faster; but using POP necessitates visiting my ISP's site to see what mails it has mistakenly added to my Junk folder. (IMAP shows these.) If I have to do that, I will probably just go there to manage my mail, and forget using a mail client. You must have a better ISP; mine REFUSES to stop passing judgement on the status of my mail.
You say 'automatic actions'. To what are you referring?
Hi Doug,
The problem I mentioned above has resolved itself, without any action from me. Other people have said that this is an ISP issue, not IMAP.
.... john
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

John, the spam I receive are very few and rarely of any consequence; thus, I don't check my spam folder very often. I wouldn't want IMAP to retrieve them.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Pete,
I wish it were that simple with mine. My ISP often weeds out non spam messages. If fact, if I hadn't checked my 'Bulk' folder, I wouldn't have seen your reply.
.... john
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

John, I'm surprised to hear that your ISP limits what messages you receive on a public board like this.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Pete,
They don't actually limit them, they simply insist on deciding what is spam and what is not. So, when I use POP, I have to go to their site to see what they've weeded out, which are quite often legitimate messages. I have asked them to stop doing it, but they refuse to stop. If POP were able to access my spam folder, I'd happily revert to it.
... john
P.S. In case anyone is interested, Rogers is my ISP
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

John, I've just never heard of an ISP intercepting messages posted on a public bulletin board like this...email, yes, but public postings, no!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Pete,
Sorry I was referring to my email provider.
.... john