Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting..

Post by FrankSMS »

Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page.

I searched for a solution to this irritant popup only to find site after site saying to go to Preferences (there is no Preferences now it seems as the designers in their absolute wisdom chose to change that name to Options thereby making thousands of suggestions confusing for new users), then Advanced (there is no Advanced now). Could someone please explain to our inquiring minds the logic behind these decisions? Who in their right mind would ever change the fundamental name of something that controls the whole program?

I searched for "redirect" "redirecting" in Options to no avail.
This stupid popup appears often and is a royal pain.

How Mozilla can allow such thoughtless decisions is beyond belief. If they made cars they'd put the gas pedal on the dashboard, then in the back seat the following year.

Maybe a solution to this idiocy can be suggested thereby helping many, many people led astray by the hundreds or perhaps thousands of websites with the wrong terminology thanks to some brainless decisions at Mozilla.

Its like there is little overall management at Mozilla. It appears that pockets of people are making decisions in their own little world without a thought to overall ramifications of their choices.

To add to this lunacy that popup appeared after I just hit the Submit button on this page. And after I clicked Allow it popped up again! Probably some setting I changed? I went through Security in Options and didn't see anything that seemed relevant. ???

In about:config there are several options when "redirect" is searched.

extensions.webextensions.identity.redirectDomain
network.http.prompt-temp-redirect
network.http.redirection-limit
network.predictor.redirect-likely-confidence
network.websocket.auto-follow-http-redirects
places.frecency.permRedirectVisitBonus
places.frecency.redirectSourceVisitBonus
places.frecency.tempRedirectVisitBonus
Last edited by FrankSMS on April 11th, 2018, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-edmeister

Re: Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecti

Post by the-edmeister »

Are you incapable of requesting support without everything becoming a rant about how bad Mozilla is?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

@moz2u...
How Mozilla can allow such thoughtless decisions is beyond belief. If they made cars they'd put the gas pedal on the dashboard, then in the back seat the following year.

Maybe a solution to this idiocy can be suggested thereby helping many, many people led astray by the hundreds or perhaps thousands of websites with the wrong terminology thanks to some brainless decisions at Mozilla.

Its like there is little overall management at Mozilla. It appears that pockets of people are making decisions in their own little world without a thought to overall ramifications of their choices.
May I suggest that you do not use Firefox, as you always seem to be complaining about how it functions.
Go & use another free browser.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

remnants from old firefox?
https://support.mozilla.org/de/question ... er-1016935

accessibility.blockautorefresh -> false (default)

its easier to ask and rant than entering this sentence into search machine.
easier to try a fresh profile, easier to make it alone. stupid mozilla.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> its easier to ask and rant than entering this sentence into search machine.

I always try to look for a solution before posting here. You can see by my post what I've done so far.
Thank you for that suggestion. I'm trying it now. When I entered it into the search field of about:config this came up as well:
services.sync.prefs.sync.accessibility.blockautorefresh

Both were set at "true". Do you think the above one would have any bearing on this issue?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Seems to work! Hopefully this helps many others.
So was my previous setting of True the default? Surely it couldn't have been working properly but maybe something else was causing this. I've changed a lot of settings in about:config and sometimes one affects others in surprising ways. Trial and error as always. :)
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Does anybody know why they would change Preferences to Options? We know they are both used in software programs today for the same function but the problem is there is no more Advanced so all those people who have posted so much trying to help others have useless webpages now. There's a lot of goodwill out there rendered pointless because of this. It just seems like such a waste. Almost as if they were scoffing at all that help offered to the public. It just doesn't seem to make any sense. What am I missing here? To me online forums are the best of the internet where people help others with no or little bias because they're not getting compensation in any way. This is rare these days but the internet has tons of it. This forum is one of the best examples of that! Once conventions are in place it should be important to leave them as they are unless there are overwhelming reasons to change something. We're just talking terminology here; seemingly incidental yet so important.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

https://support.mozilla.org/de/question ... er-1016935

On this link Brummelchen kindly suggested just look at this. This is Mozilla's very own page. And it hasn't been updated. Now I know they say its only for version 38-55 but many people will miss that in their haste for finding a solution.
"Windows: "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Options"

There is no 3-bar menu button anymore.

"In the left column, click Advanced."

There is no Advanced anymore.

Halfway down the page they correct it but you have to ask why would Mozilla not correct it right at the top? Its their own product on their own Help page! Of course a thinking person would question why this term was changed in the first place necessitating thousands of websites to correct their posts. The sad, probable answer is they simply don't' care.
therube

Post by therube »

Isn't the default value of accessibility.blockautorefresh, false?
If it was true on your end, you or something (extension?) changed it to true.

If you set it to 'true', is it in bold?
If you reset it to 'false' isn't it not in bold?
(about:config entries in bold have been changed, generally.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

>> Isn't the default value of accessibility.blockautorefresh, false?
> If it was true on your end, you or something (extension?) changed it to true.

That makes sense. Because it never used to do this. In the last little while since I've changed it its been acting normal. Couldn't be happier.

>If you set it to 'true', is it in bold?
>If you reset it to 'false' isn't it not in bold?

Everything looks the same. I set the search so a lot of items were displayed. All are exactly the same in terms of font weight. Maybe I specified that in Options, General, Language and Appearance, Default Font, Advanced somewhere.