Major Problem with Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Re: Major Problem with Firefox

Post by trolly »

Always the same sites?
It can be dependent on the ads served.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

as i tried to point out before this is NO firefox issues. if firefox hogs memory its always system made. although my win7/x64 is different from mine i could not reproduce his culprits. as suggested he should speak up in a windows forum to get his system analysed on adware, plugins, antivirus or more. my experience is same as other people.

what he can do or us for a quick view is the about:memory report in failure case and teh reports of OTL

AdwCleaner AdwCleaner Download
Insert [Lgifile] here, then [Cleanup]

OTL for system informationen
OTL - OTLogfile by Oldtimer

download and following options
+ Scan all
+ skip Microsoft files
+ LOP
+ Purity
+ _all_ programs, else Safelist" for the rest
+ outpout: standard
"SCAN"

Insert OTL.txt/EXTRAS.txt here: http://pastebin.com/ and provide the links
(its a german speaking tool)

or use FARBAR
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downlo ... scan-tool/
and insert its reports.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Based on my testing, I'd say the problem has nothing to do with the number of sites and probably nothing to do with the amount of memory on the machine. It seems that is dependent on the content of the site(s). So far the sites that I can "usually" (but not always) get to trigger the behavior are journalistic sites with a lot of ad and video content. I don't have to even be doing anything on the site, nor does the site's tab have to have focus. This would seem to be borne out based on my observation of the Network Cache Storage Service (about:cache?device=memory) showing lots of items being added to the cache during the time the memory is being consumed. My best chance at triggering the behavior is having one or more articles open in tab(s) from www.salon.com. However, as I noted above I have seen the runaway memory consumption without these sites, but not often.

There has clearly been a bug introduced in what appears to be ff v58. I say this because I have operated using these same sites for several years now. That being said, it could be that those sites have changed their behavior and just exposed an already existent bug. Too many variables in a very complex environment.

Given all this, in order to reproduce this behavior, someone is going to have to dedicate some real time to test. In troubleshooting similar "difficult" bugs, some software vendors will take over the machine to observe the behavior in order to fix the problem.

Given that this is a user forum, is there a forum or other environment run by Mozilla techinical folks that I can report this problem? At this time, I understand that this is not a widely reported problem, I'm sure because it takes the right combination of events to trigger.

I appreciate everyone's help.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

........is there a forum or other environment run by Mozilla techinical folks that I can report this problem?
Yep.
Go to the Official Support site...
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions

There's also > Help > Submit Feedback.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

what he can do or us for a quick view is the about:memory report in failure case and teh reports of OTL
I am assuming you mean the Measure and save option. What is OTL?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

There has clearly been a bug introduced in what appears to be ff v58
and you have been pointed out why your issue is not present in v58 and the other one solved in v59.

again for you: firefox is not your problem - its your system. firefox is only showing the influence of your system culprit.
and you were told more than once, that plugins (not mozilla related) and anbtivirus programs can cause this.

thats why i gave to links to OTL or use farbar, download for x64
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... ool/dl/82/

insert text from FRST_<current_date>.txt and Addition_<current_date>.txt to pastebin.org and give us the link to read

either you are willing to do this or a appreciate to close this thread again because no forthcoming.

if you dont like OTL then do FARBAR (FRST)
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Brummelchen, I think it is a good suggestion to provide an about:memory report the next time I experience this. Might be something learned from that. With regards to the memory consumption, it is a firefox.exe thread that is consuming memory, not a system thread. That tells me it ff is responsible for the problem. I would be hard pressed to think of a scenario where Windows has gone off and started consuming memory using the firefox.exe thread. If you look at the crash report mentioned in one of the early pages of this post, you'll see that it was an ff call that failed to allocate more memory. My suspicion is that there is probably some interaction between Windows 7 and FF that is part of the problem, but I wouldn't bet money on it at this time. The fact the no one else has experienced this behavior does not mean that there is not a problem.

Please note also that I do not let the firefox.exe thread take all the memory and force an ff crash. I kill ff when it gets to about 7 - 10 gb.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

dmcmillen wrote:The fact the no one else has experienced this behavior does not mean that there is not a problem.
Really??? I assume you mean a FF problem.

This thread is already over 80 posts and most folks seem to think the issue is your system and whatever may be lurking in it. Since I'm not a Win expert I have to go along with the majority. I have scoured the internet and CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING.

I think we have beaten this to death and hopefully DanRaisch will take pity on us and lock it again.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

That tells me it ff is responsible for the problem
that is what you like to read/hear/want. but currently you are the only one with this problem.
this would mean that your issue is unique and this means that it is NOT CAUSED by firefox.
either you trust our experience or you chose another browser with less impacts.
did you get this finally?
therube

Post by therube »

browsers use memory & resources
browsers browse websites
different websites affect browsers differently
extensions & preference settings affect things
external processes (like antivirus) may affect things
it might be "normal" for a browser to be using 200 MB of RAM
it might be "normal" for a browser to be using 10 GB of RAM
it may not be unusual for a browser to eat 10 GB of RAM in a few hours time

i can get a browser to stop displaying video clips - when using only ~1 GB of RAM
i can also have that same browser using 6 GB of RAM & play video clips just fine

i can get a have a browser that performs poorly - when using only ~1 GB of RAM
i can also have that same browser using 6 GB of RAM & perform just fine

it all depends
so that one does not run into the situation the OP is running into does not mean that it is not happening
that it does happen does not mean the browser is not of fault
it all depends

repeatable steps to reproduce are always good
but are not always apparent

so...
so this thread is to long to know what or what has not been tried

if there are specific sites that seem to exacerbate the situation
then create a new, clean Profile & visit those same sites, doing your "normal" activities that you do there
& monitor

if you can come up with something, even somewhat repeatable, & you feel it is site specific, throw something different into the mix, like an adblocker [better, NoScript, if you're familiar with that] & test some more. see if RAM ramps up or is better behaved...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@therube - i have tried to reproduce his problem, nothing.
i have sometimes ~200 Tabs open in my second profile, that computer owns only 2gb ram, nothing.
although it took some time to load suspended tabs after switching, but it never crashed or took my system down.
and i admit that ublock is much more blocking than the default usage of adblock (plus) in his example.

about:memory will show up if firefox or an extension or a plugin is consuming power.
about:crashes (if crash available) will point out the cause of crash and which modules are loading.

but he refused to deliver content of all, none of this and none of that. time is up.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Okay. Out of patience. Locking

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6