Can't register

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.

Can't register

Post by Guest »

I'm trying to register and getting a message saying I answered a question wrong. The only thing that's blank is "How many letters in Mozilla?" Is 7 an incorrect response? How could I possibly be getting that wrong? I know how to count.

Is there something else wrong with the info I'm entering? I've never seen this forum before, so it can't be that I'm blocked for bad behavior. My e-mail address is valid, and I'm quite certain I entered the same password twice. Also, that password doesn't have any special characters. It's a reasonably complex and long password. What else could be wrong?

Of course, this message won't get seen by anybody if it really is a problem with counting to 7, since the same question is here above, in which case this is of no help whatsoever and I'll never be able to get an answer.

bruce_g_watson
@
hotmail
dot
com

P.S. Just for the heck of it, I tried entering 6 instead of 7, and now I'm able to see a message preview without errors. IOW, that appears to have solved the problem. But count with me, please: M-O-Z-I-L-L-A. Looks like 7 to me. Maybe you mean to ask "How many DIFFERENT letters are in Mozilla". If that's the case, you need to clarify this, and thanks for wasting my last half hour.
Last edited by DanRaisch on April 20th, 2018, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
DanRaisch

Re: Can't register

Post by DanRaisch »

Yeah, we're aware of the issue and it does seem to be a matter of a poorly worded question. Unfortunately, the forum moderators don't have access to change the text involved.
UserMaster

Post by UserMaster »

I tried registering for the past 4 days and could not do it. The last time, I read the question carefully and tried putting "6" since the letter L is repeated. However, that question is poorly worded.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:Yeah, we're aware of the issue and it does seem to be a matter of a poorly worded question. Unfortunately, the forum moderators don't have access to change the text involved.
TryAgainLater

Post by TryAgainLater »

I tried 7, seven, Seven a few times. Now I get the try again later message. How long is later? I desparately need help with Thunderbird...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try 6 instead of 7. The question is poorly worded and should probably read "how many unique letters" are there in Mozilla.
neha123

Post by neha123 »

Thanks.. I also worry about the registration..
neha123

Post by neha123 »

Answer is 6
UnFreakinBelievable

Post by UnFreakinBelievable »

There is absolutely no way that THERE IS REALLY NO WAY to fix this insane "anti-spam" question in months (or even years?).

Apparently this is intentional, to keep users from registering who are unwilling to waste at least half an hour of their time
on pointless retries (7, seven, 8, eight, 9 for me — just in case the question mark or the whole line has to be counted) and
multiple encounters with the nonsensically low set "maximum number of registration attempts" PLUS further investigation
and finally finding this very thread here, if you're lucky.

I have seen hundreds of these capture questions, and not a single one of them asking to count letters meant UNIQUE ones.

... smh ...