New Windows always open on secondary monitor (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
napthali

New Windows always open on secondary monitor (Mac)

Post by napthali »

Using FF 59... in the past, Firefox windows have opened on whatever monitor the currently active window is on. Now they *always* open on my second screen, which is pretty annoying because it's the wrong thing to do 99% of the time and so I have to move them over.

Totally blowing away my profile fixes the problem, but of course then I have to redo all my customizations.

Any idea which settings file might be messed up here? (This was apparently a common problem back when FF was still using localstore.rdf, so standard search results are flooded with very old answers. :( )
smsmith

Re: New Windows always open on secondary monitor (Mac)

Post by smsmith »

Probably the xulstore.json as described in this article.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

Note that removing that file with Fx closed will remove your window sizes and locations, and used to but may no longer, remove your customized toolbars, so you'll have to put your buttons back where you want the.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
napthali

Post by napthali »

smsmith wrote:Probably the xulstore.json as described in this article.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

Note that removing that file with Fx closed will remove your window sizes and locations, and used to but may no longer, remove your customized toolbars, so you'll have to put your buttons back where you want the.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping would fix it based on the updated docs I found, but it doesn't. Successfully removes all my other preferences, though. :-/ Apparently the "which window to open" setting isn't there?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Somebody else once reported a TMP file called --xulstore.json.tmp that also needed to be removed. Do you have one of those files? Files are being removed with Firefox closed?

There were some really old bug reports about this issue once before. The answer then seemed to be, make sure all your windows are on the monitor you wanted to open the new window. Is there a window in a difference workspace that you are unaware of? You know, Spaces. I forget the key combo to get to them. I have it setup on mine to point the cursor to one of the corners of the screen to show the other Spaces.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.