SeaMonkey Theme Changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Snake4

Re: SeaMonkey Theme Changes

Post by Snake4 »

frg wrote:Well with bugs like these there probably won't be much left of Gecko in the near future to build a suite (or mail program) upon:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1444685
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1446341

If we survive the ESR60 cycle and the next one still contains enough code to continue we will look into the theme issue. I wouldn't count on being able to use the userxxx files for theming much longer. Reading comments the mozilla gods are angry and the word 'abused' is used frequently when it comes to them :) If functionality is removed from Gecko and can't be recreated in the frontend it is game over for the user.... files.

FRG
will SM257 be the last?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote: will SM257 be the last?
It could make ESR60 just about. As you know, I was reckoning before FF57 release that userChrome.css would get whacked quicksmart, but here we are on FF60 betas and XUL and the chrome files are just as before.

This was the point I was making, in that if SM devs can make it to 60 and the only outstanding obstacle was the cosmetic UI side (themes) then that would not be a problem.

Obviously xul vanishing would have a dramatic effect, but the elephant in the room is that even FF57 onwards is a poisoned chalice as it really doesn't run well at all, as in, really badly on low end PCs, plus web extensions, plus upcoming T/Bird mail troubles, etc, etc and you're ending up with a SM product that SM users aren't going to want to use anyway.

If it was me, I'd heavily consolidate what SM we have now and make it look and act as it should, ship it with a sandbox program in 6 months time and then go on a long holiday.

Makes more sense than a pointless following every move of Mozilla's coy virgin 'will I or won't I?' routine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Mouse4 wrote: will SM257 be the last?
It could make ESR60 just about. As you know, I was reckoning before FF57 release that userChrome.css would get whacked quicksmart, but here we are on FF60 betas and XUL and the chrome files are just as before.

This was the point I was making, in that if SM devs can make it to 60 and the only outstanding obstacle was the cosmetic UI side (themes) then that would not be a problem.

Obviously xul vanishing would have a dramatic effect, but the elephant in the room is that even FF57 onwards is a poisoned chalice as it really doesn't run well at all, as in, really badly on low end PCs, plus web extensions, plus upcoming T/Bird mail troubles, etc, etc and you're ending up with a SM product that SM users aren't going to want to use anyway.

If it was me, I'd heavily consolidate what SM we have now and make it look and act as it should, ship it with a sandbox program in 6 months time and then go on a long holiday.

Makes more sense than a pointless following every move of Mozilla's coy virgin 'will I or won't I?' routine.
so i guess in other words, how many users will actually stay with 249, ( my guess plenty will ) ,
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote:so i guess in other words, how many users will actually stay with 249, ( my guess plenty will ) ,
As a generalisation, my estimation is that the majority of the SM userbase do not suffer from the ADHD curiosity and fascination for anything so long as its new and, indeed, paranoia that inflict so much of the Firefox userbase and that they will only move to a newer SM version if it is demonstrably better, including individual customability via addons, compared with the existing version.

Observed objectively, that also seems to be a reasonable and logical position to take and is actually how people decide generally on other non-browser related computer programs.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)