images not showing in specific website

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

images not showing in specific website

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Occasionally I surf Kijiji for buys; but, just yesterday, the images of the items for sale stopped showing. I was messing around with Autoruns and some other features on the site (Kijiji) and may have somehow disabled them; but I can't figure what I did, if anything. Other sites show images normally, and Firefox shows Kijiji's images, so it seems like it's specific to this site.
Any help is appreciated.
.... john
TPR75

Re: images not showing in specific website

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:I was messing around with Autoruns and some other features on the site (Kijiji) and may have somehow disabled them; but I can't figure what I did, if anything.
Check permissions (Ctrl+i):

... and make sure default action is "Allow".

Looks like images are hosted on eBay:

Code: Select all

https://i.ebayimg.com/*
Check your adblocker for such URLs.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
My permissions is exactly like the example above, except that my cookies is set to accept.
I disabled ad blocker, but that didn't help. I also cleared all of my private data. I don't have Java enabled, but never have. And I don't have netframework installed .... Windows 7
.... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:[...] except that my cookies is set to accept.
Clear cookies for this site and check again.

Can you see pictures on this page?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ci ... nFlag=true

How about direct link to picture?
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw ... g/$_59.JPG

I don't want to register there so I can't check account possible settings. Try to log off, clear cookies, check pictures without logging in, log in and check again.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
I did not see any images on the first site, but I did see the Mustang in the jpg link.
Nice! is this yours?
... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi,
I did not see any images on the first site, but I did see the Mustang in the jpg link.
Nice! is this yours?
... john
It's not mine but it can be yours for 95 grands only... :-"

Looks like this site is your nemesis or something:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2492777

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2724341

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3034543

:wink:
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
"Looks like this site is your nemesis or something ..."
Yes, it does seem so; but it must be related to SeaMonkey, since Firefox shows it fine.
I was in touch with the Kijiji's technical service; and they sent me a shortcut to a site that will read the settings on my computer. I'm a little reluctant to send this information to them, for reasons you may understand. Here's what he said, including the shortcut. Please let me know if you think this information will help to solve my problem.
[The easiest way to see what the problem might be is to click on the following link from your desktop: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
This links provides all of the information about your specific computer. It’s like magic, right? The information we’re most concerned about can be found near the top of the page, in the “Your Web Browser’s Capabilities” section.]
Only 95 grand eh? It just doesn't seem like enough ;-)
... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote: [The easiest way to see what the problem might be is to click on the following link from your desktop: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
This links provides all of the information about your specific computer. It’s like magic, right? The information we’re most concerned about can be found near the top of the page, in the “Your Web Browser’s Capabilities” section.]
Go on and visit above website.

There will be URL under "Share your system info with Tech Support". When you will open in e.g. new tab then you can find such sentence:
"This is a best-guess attempt at working out what browser/system configuration your user/client/customer has. We hope it helped."

It can't "read" your system. Such report is based on your browser's User Agent and its behavior.

If you tell/write to Kijiji's tech support and you give info such as:
- SeaMonkey 2.49.2,
- Windows 7 SP1 32-bit,
... then they already knows it.

Something must be with your settings because I can see pictures there. SeaMonkey or Adblock Plus settings. To test it:
1) create new profile in SeaMonkey,
2) switch to it and open Kijiji website (don't change SM settings, use it with defaults),
3) if works then install Adblock Plus and import filters from you old profile (which means you must export it first).
4) if works then you messed up something with SM settings in your old profile.

If you have 3rd-party software like AV/Security with webcontent filtering then check their settings.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi TPR75,
Alright. The new profile works tickety-boo. Can I simply export SM's setting from the new profile to the old profile, rather than the reverse? (That would seem like a lot less work.)
.... john
Last edited by shakushinnen on April 28th, 2018, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Can I simply export SM's setting form the new profile to the old profile, rather than the reverse? (That would seem like a lot less work.)
Well, yes you can make default settings for your old profile. Simply delete "prefs.js" file. It contains all your settings... but cookies, bookmarks, passwords, URL history and others not so important things. "Prefs.js" will be recreated with default settings. Just make sure SeaMonkey is not running.

Just in case you can copy/move old "prefs.js" to save place/folder and see if it works. Actually, you should make copy of entire SeaMonkey folder with profiles:

Code: Select all

c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
You can use e.g. 7-Zip for this:
https://www.7-zip.org/
Restoring just "prefs.js" can't guarantee everything will be correct as before.

All (important) changes made by user can be find in:
Menu -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> scroll down to section "Important Modified Preferences"
Maybe you'll see something that will help you solve your problem in "safe way".
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
So, after I make a backup copy of my old SeaMonkey folder, I can simply replace the prefs.js folder in the old profile with a copy of the prefs.js from the new profile, and Bob's your uncle? (Should I use 7zip; or are we just taking about a good old fashioned 'copy to' here.)
...... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi,
So, after I make a backup copy of my old SeaMonkey folder, I can simply replace the prefs.js folder in the old profile with a copy of the prefs.js from the new profile, and Bob's your uncle? (Should I use 7zip; or are we just taking about a good old fashioned 'copy to' here.)
...... john
DO NOT copy "prefs.js" between different profiles. Just delete old one and it will be restored brand new (like for new profile).

You can copy entire folder with old profile if you want... but one file archive can be your backup copy easily moved to external drive (e.g. flash). Your call.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi TPR,
Thanks for you help.
After talking to you I remembered that I have Mozbackup; so I used that to back up my 'problem' installation, then deleted prefs.js from the active version of it. But when I restarted it and went to Kijiji I still did not have images. Strange. I notice that Mozbackup allows me select what I keep of an installation, so maybe we can use that to edit out the problem child. What do you think?
... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:After talking to you I remembered that I have Mozbackup
MozBackup is obsolete, not developed since 2012. I had problems when I tried to restore profile (some files was skipped even when I selected full backup). Since then I'm using file archivers (now: 7-Zip) to do full copy of SeaMonkey folder with profiles. It is much safer.

You can copy it to other location but remember to not delete/move something from such copy.

If deleting "prefs.js" from old profile didn't help then it means problem is not in "plain" settings but with e.g. cookies (saved in "cookies.sqlite" file). You need to find what did you do with setting/preferences/cookies for this particular site (Kijiji).
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
OK. Thanks for the heads up about Mozback. I didn't realize it has problems. It restored this time, so I guess I got lucky. I'll try to figure out what I did to cause the problem.
Thanks for your help.
..... john