Cached email addresses?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
MDSBigPaPa

Cached email addresses?

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

I been having issues with one of my contacts in Thunderbird 52.7.0 (32-bit). I have a contact with email "nmxxxxx@gmail.com" (not the real address) that is a member of a distribution list. When I send to the distribution, instead of the mail going to "nmxxxxx@gmail.com", it gets sent to "nm.xxxxx@gmail.com". As you can guess nm.xxxxx@gmail.com is not pleased with me.

What I've done is:
* Export my Android phone contacts
* Delete my phone contacts
* Export my gmail contacts
* Delete my gmail contacts
* Export my Verizon Cloud contacts
* Delete my Verizon Cloud contacts
* Delete nmxxxxx@gmail from my Thunderbird contacts
* Manually add nmxxxxx@gmail.com to my Thunderbird contacts
* Using MyPhoneExplorer sync all my contacts to my Thunderbird address book
* Check each contact list to ensure that none have nm.xxxxx@gmail.com
* I checked my roadrunner on-line email contacts and nmxxxxx@gmail is not listed nor is nm.xxxxx@gmail.com

So now I'm at a loss as to where the nm.xxxxx@gmail.com is coming from. Is there a cache somewhere that I can delete to clean up this mess?

Thanks for your help,
Mark
MDSBigPaPa

Re: Cached email addresses?

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

Oh! I checked each contact list for nm.xxxxx@gmail.com prior to exporting them - not found in any of them.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird would not (normally) be drawing email addresses from external sources but only from it's own address books. How many address books are listed in the left hand pane of Thunderbird's Address Book window? If you check in the Thunderbird Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ) how many files are there that have the extension .mab?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Gmail ignores dot/periods in the username portion of email addresses. I'd actually have expected the opposite problem, that mail sent to "nm.xxxxx@gmail.com" goes to "nmxxxxx@gmail.com"

Does nm.xxxxx@gmail.com show up in the auto-complete list box?
MDSBigPaPa

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

DanRaisch wrote:Thunderbird would not (normally) be drawing email addresses from external sources but only from it's own address books. How many address books are listed in the left hand pane of Thunderbird's Address Book window? If you check in the Thunderbird Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ) how many files are there that have the extension .mab?
Address book lists
- All Address Book
* Personal Address Book
o Lima Ambulance Bulk Text
o Lima Ambulance E-mail
o Poker Buds Daytime
o Poker Buds Eve.
* Collected Addresses

There are several "old" profiles left over from previous installs and each have 6 .mab files:
abook- Copy.mab
abook.mab
history.mab
impab-1.mab
impab-2.mab
impab-3.mab

Searching each .mab in each of the profiles not one instance of "nm.xxxxx".

I downloaded AstroGrep to search the contents of all of the files in each Profile in \Profiles\.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ob2krv6477rc ... x.JPG?dl=0

As you can see, none of the .mab files have the entry nm.xxxxx@gmail.com but, can any of the other files be getting in my way? BTW - mej3ryui.default is my default profile and none of the other profiles have any entries for nm.xxxxx.

Thinking out of the box, can the issue with nm.xxxxx@gmail.com be something that nmxxxxx@gmail.com has in her profile - perhaps forwarding?
tanstaafl wrote:... Does nm.xxxxx@gmail.com show up in the auto-complete list box?
Thanks - No it does not.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you save the message as a draft and look at the address list do you see "nm.xxxxx@gmail.com"?

How about in your copy of the sent message, after sending it?

Have the recipient ("nm.xxxxx@gmail.com") view the raw message source using control-U or view -> message source (or whatever equivalent their email client/webmail supports that lets them see ALL of the headers). Ask them to look at the Received: headers near the bottom of the headers and see if it looks like the message was forwarded from "nmxxxxx@gmail.com" (no dot) or something else unusual happened. Each Received header normally mentions both the server name and some identity.

This will help determine if the change occured when composing, when sending (passing data to the smtp server), or after the smtp server processed the request and actually sends the message.
MDSBigPaPa

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

I'm in the process of rebuilding my user disk so it'll be a couple of days to troubleshoot everything. I can check the sent message from my phone and it has nmxxxxx@gmail address.