New Tab in v60

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
johnpd

New Tab in v60

Post by johnpd »

I no longer see the "Settings" gear on the New Tab screen to customize it. I looked in Options and Customize and could not find anything there. Has this been eliminated?

JohnD
the-edmeister

Re: New Tab in v60

Post by the-edmeister »

No, it should still be there. Any modification you did with 57, 58, or 59 to the New Tab Page may have caused that 'gear' to not appear in 60; either via an add-on, via userChrome.css mods or by changing prefs in about:config so look at those two areas. As far as about:config changes, the prefs.js file in the Profile folder shows all the prefs that are "userset" which includes prefs set by extensions.

I have an issue with the images not appearing on the New Tab Page in Firefox 60 now, but I haven't taken much time trying to sort that out. Overall, just another thing to disgust me even further with Mozilla changing crap like that too often. They released Quantum as Firefox 57 and incomplete, lacking way too many planned API's which added to the lack of available extensions. And this thing with changing major features like the New Tab Page forcing users to "fix" what they didn't like about it; then doing another major change just 3 version later and screwing up the "fixes" that users made the fist time; unforgivable IMO.

rant mode off
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
johnpd

Post by johnpd »

I did have a userChrome.css mod to make menu fonts more readable. I pulled that and it made no difference. I might have played with the prefs.js file to try the font mod but that did not work so I reset it.

JohnD
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

css cant change prefs

provide some information please (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

test firefox in safe-mode please:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

PS might help - open about:config and search vor "newtab"
-> about:config?filter=newtab
Puppy2012

Post by Puppy2012 »

I can confirm the issue on multiple machines. After upgrade to 60.0, the new tab screen is shown after Firefox startup only once. Openning a new tab always show an empty space. The issue persists in Safe Mode as well. You can find more references to the issue in various discussion forums.

Note that typing about:home into the address bar shows it again.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ofc this happens when you have set empty page fore firefox startup
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -home-page

i cant confirm that the regular startpage is blank when 1) no other page is set and 2) "startpage" is chosen. i get the tiles.

as written above search prefs or try safe mode or a clean profile

about:config?filter=browser.newtabpage
Puppy2012

Post by Puppy2012 »

Ok, I can confirm that prefs browser.newtabpage.enabled reset to default value fixed it. Again, I have more than 5 virtual machines with Firefox installed and it got broken in ALL of them after update to Firefox 60.0.
costark

Post by costark »

I like the use of "Pin'd" Top Sites Links and am up to 40 from (about:config) changing --- browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows --- to 5. Gives me 5 x 8.
The 9 Hi-Lights remain but are just smaller.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Code: Select all

and it got broken in ALL of them after update to Firefox 60.0
then you caused it, either by purpose or by extension, firefox wont change it itself.
if your profile is from pre-Quantum you should consider a new profile and import the rest.
Puppy2012

Post by Puppy2012 »

No, all upgrades were 59.0.3 -> 60.0 and no extensions. There are MORE reports of the issue in various forums.
johnpd

Post by johnpd »

Can confirm Puppy2012's fix. Setting "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to default value of "true" fixes it.

JohnD