A discussion about folder limits, now calendar question

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
terrathunderbird

A discussion about folder limits, now calendar question

Post by terrathunderbird »

Hi folks... since I'm running into limits on MBoxView (no longer an issue, using MBox File Viewer instead), but it got me thinking. My TB backup files are over 30Gigs. I believe these have been compacted, or at least compacted recently before backing up each one.

So I decided to check and see what people are thinking about TB limits. So I started here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29

But it's still not clear to me if TB has any limits. I don't believe my machine or OS is limiting anything.

I'm on 52.2.1 (32-bit)

Wondering what y'all think...

I didn't post this as a question/problem in the subject, because I don't see this as very high priority. Just planning for the future...
Last edited by terrathunderbird on May 23rd, 2018, 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
tanstaafl

Re: A discussion about folder limits

Post by tanstaafl »

"My TB backup files are over 30Gigs."

Do you mean you have a .zip or .pcv file that is over 30GB? That is not a problem. Don't confuse compacting with compressing. The size reduction from Thunderbird compacting a mail folder is a side effect of physically removing marked for deletion but hidden from view messages in a mbox file. Compressing works with any file by using an algorithm to change how the data is stored.

There is no limit on the profile size, unless you run out of free disk space or the operating system imposes a limit (unlikely)
terrathunderbird

Thanks!

No...not .zip or .pcv, just the regular folders/files in the profile. But if there is no limit by TB, I think I'm all set with this. I just gotta figure out why/if the sizes are different after I copy them for backup.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

terrathunderbird wrote:I'm on 52.2.1 (32-bit)

Wondering what y'all think...
I think you are 10 months behind in versions.
terrathunderbird

The last time I upgraded, I lost the ability to see calendar invites and to accept invites from others. No one on the forum could assist. I can't afford to lose any more functionality... So nervous about upgrading again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And that's highly unusual. If you backup the existing profile you could update to see if issues appear and then revert to your existing version and restore from the backup to recover any lost functionality.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Or fix calendar.

A common solution is to delete the calendar add-on directory (NOT the data directory) at <profile>/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103} or the file at <profile>/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}.xpi and let thunderbird reinstall it.
terrathunderbird

Thanks!

Dan, I tried the reverting method and it didn't work. I followed all of your instructions, etc.

Wsmwk, To delete the calendar add-on directory, will it lose my calendar entries?
wsmwk

Re: A discussion about folder limits, now calendar question

Post by wsmwk »

calendar data is in <profile>/calendar-data

You're OK unless you accidentally delete that.

I should add, that there have bene rare reports of calendar attachments not working, even though the calendar UI is working. Perhaps that describes your issue?
terrathunderbird

Thanks, W... I'm not sure that a calendar attachment is. But the invite goes out perfectly. And if the person accepts, that also comes back perfectly. The part that does NOT work is when someone sends me an invite. I see the subject, but most of the content is blank (depending on whether they are using x version of Outlook or gmail, etc). No matter who/what sends it, I can't see any button to "accept".
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

A good start is to update to 52.8.0
terrathunderbird

ooo...I'm so nervous. I lost my calendaring BY upgrading. But since you all have been so helpful and seem to be there for me, let me take the plunge. Be back soon... OK, it's installing itself. I realized that I can't tell if it works unless someone sends me a new one. BUT I looked at an old invitation and I can see the button! I'll check back in if it works now "in production"!

Thanks!!!