5.1.3 Syntax Error

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

5.1.3 Syntax Error

Post by Bluelead »

I have been sending SeaMonkey email to an address that now shows this error message and the message fails. How do I correct the problem. All other addresses in my address book work fine. I am using Windows 7 Professional and SeaMonkey 2.49.3. Thanks!

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.1.3 Syntax error in recipient address.
Please check the message recipient
TPR75

Re: 5.1.3 Syntax Error

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.1.3 Syntax error in recipient address.
Please check the message recipient
Here is some info:
https://www.howtoforge.com/community/th ... ost-216833

If you want to send e-mail to e.g. John Smith using his e-mail address j.smith(at)example.net then type something like this:

Code: Select all

John Smith <j.smith@example.net>
Did it help a little?
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I am sorry to say it did not. I tried the sample shown and some variations to it, but to no avail. Thank you for your suggestion.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Additional information to my last post. < > is automatically used by SeaMonkey when I send messages TO, but it isn't used by SeaMonkey when I send emails as BCC. Not sure why it does this, but the other emails I send like this go through without an error.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:Additional information to my last post. < > is automatically used by SeaMonkey when I send messages TO, but it isn't used by SeaMonkey when I send emails as BCC. Not sure why it does this, but the other emails I send like this go through without an error.
It all depends on mail servers settings (nothing you can change until you're sysadmin of that server).

Don't count for automatics, just make sure all addresses (TO, CCC, BCC and others) are close with diamond brackets <>.

Another info:
https://support.mozilla.org/pl/questions/1090315
If problem is with mailing list then try to make it a new.

If you have some name and e-mail address then sometimes you need to "close" that name in quotation marks like this:

Code: Select all

"John Smith" <j.smith@example.net>
In some older version SeaMonkey we have some problems with Polish specific letters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogonek
... and a solution was to close such name with "" marks.

Make sure all e-mail addresses don't contain some non-ASCII (non-English language) specific letter.
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What is wrong with just using the email address by itself?
therube

Post by therube »

(What I looked at briefly said it may be a configuration error on the server side, so not necessarily anything one can do except hope it gets straightened out on that end.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

The problem is fixed. I tried deleting the original address and entered again as a new one. That seems to have corrected the problem. The email messages are going through without the error message. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.