Compliment & Question about XP

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Compliment & Question about XP

Post by Peter Creasey »

Hearty compliments and appreciation to the developers for their continued fine work...in this case with SM 2.49.3.

Question -- does this version 2.49.3 work okay with Windows XP?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Re: Compliment & Question about XP

Post by DanRaisch »

That version of SeaMonkey requires at least XP Service Pack 2. https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/s ... quirements
frg

Post by frg »

I usually test on XP SP3 so yes. The VS2015 runtime is not certified to run with SP2. We are picking up the requirements from Firefox here but if it breaks on SP2 we will just update the requirements to only be compatible with SP3 :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg, I don't know how to interpret what you said as it affects whether Windows XP runs okay with SM 2.49.3.

Dan, thank you. I'm pretty sure I have SP2. I don't recall there being a SP3 but if there was, I would imagine I have it.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You should check to see which version you have because most updates of other software are likely to work only with SP3. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... sion-or-64
therube

Post by therube »

From a command prompt, WINVER.

XP is almost always going to be x86.
XP is almost always going to be SP3.
(If it were not to be SP3, you would have been the one to decide that - for some specific reason.)

You could always install SeaMonkey onto your XP box & see what happens.

See also, SeaMonkey 2.46 requires CPU with SSE2 support.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

> If it were not to be SP3, you would have been the one to decide that - for some specific reason.)

+1
Unless you are running some particularly quirky program which requires this and it is a matter of life and death to run it no need for SP2 anymore. And you wouldn have needed to disabled automatic updates too. If you use the WPOS hack you are even covered till 2019 with SP3 :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

therube wrote:(If it were not to be SP3, you would have been the one to decide that - for some specific reason.)
frg wrote:> If it were not to be SP3, you would have been the one to decide that - for some specific reason.)
+1
Unless you are running some particularly quirky program which requires this and it is a matter of life and death to run it no need for SP2 anymore. And you wouldn have needed to disabled automatic updates too. If you use the WPOS hack you are even covered till 2019 with SP3
Thanks, guys...good to know. I'll be firing up the XP machine at the beach soon.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Reporting in, SeaMonkey 2.49.3 appears to be working fine on my XP machine (and, yes, it has Windows SP3).

Thanks again!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
James

Post by James »

Peter Creasey wrote:Dan, thank you. I'm pretty sure I have SP2. I don't recall there being a SP3 but if there was, I would imagine I have it.
WinXP SP3 was first available to the public for download and in windows update since May 6, 2008. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_3

Firefox 53.0 or rather Gecko 53.0 and later does not run on Windows XP and Vista.

For Firefox 52 ESR the last major update will be 52.9.0 ESR apart from any minor 52.9.X esr updates for security and or allowed stability fixes. This mean any SeaMonkey versions that is using Gecko 53.0 and later will not run on WinXP. An option would be to say dual boot with a light Linux distro.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

James wrote: any SeaMonkey versions that is using Gecko 53.0 and later will not run on WinXP.
James, so this means that SM will no longer work with WinXP SP3 starting with which SM version?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

> James, so this means that SM will no longer work with WinXP SP3 starting with which SM version?

2.50 and up. Next planned official major version is 2.57. Probably 2.49.5 will be the last one before but this is all not set in stone because 2.57 is unusable right now.