Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jeffw_00

Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonkey?

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi - I'm reluctantly moving towards pulling away from SM as a browser because it just doesn't work very well anymore. Too many pages don't work properly until I pull them up in Chrome, IE, or (sometimes) FF. It's not SM's fault - developers are going where the browser usage is, and perhaps not testing as much with FF as they used to.

Anyway - I'd prefer not to switch to Thunderbird as I'm a heavy Email user and I have SM Email tuned exactly how I like it. So - simple question - within Seamonkey - is there a way to make something -other- than SM the default browser?

[I understand some will accuse me of sacrilege or heresy but it's just a question).

Thanks!
/j
DanRaisch

Re: Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonk

Post by DanRaisch »

What sort of issues are you having with SeaMonkey as your browser? Is it just sites reporting SeaMonkey as an obsolete version or something of that sort? Have you tried spoofing the user agent string to make SeaMonkey report to sites that it is actually Firefox?
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

My simple suggestion if you can't find other ways to make the sites work .....

Leave SM open to a single page (blank page, selected home page, SM.org site, etc.), then use the email client as normal.

I'm personally inclined to abandon sites that aren't designed properly however.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:So - simple question - within Seamonkey - is there a way to make something -other- than SM the default browser?
No and no browser does. It has the option to be/not be the default browser in Preferences> Browser. Then choose whatever default browser via the Operating System.

To make SeaMonkey open with the Email side on start-up, then select as such in Preferences>Appearance> 'When SM starts up...'
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Standalone SeaMonkey Mail

This extension has worked well for me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'd still like to understand what sort of browser issues resulted in the initial post here.
Noah Werka

Post by Noah Werka »

Try Windows "Settings-Default Apps". You can pick and choose the default browser, mail app, video player, photo viewer and several other apps from those settings.

Noah W
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

HI - sorry I was off-line for a bit - one site that loads badly now is, well, google news. [i'd post a screen shot but not sure how]. I also have a lot of trouble filling in forms at merchant sites, etc. (FWIW, seems like it got worse with 2.49). Basically, I think that if a site isn't tested with your browser you can't assume it will work properly, and with FF browser share falling off, it just seems like people aren't testing with it. Unhappy about it, but seems like Chrome has the overwhelming browser share (Seamonkey doesn't even show up in most lists :-( ) so maybe it's time to go with the flow...

I get the O/S "default" concept, but I thought that SM mail would ignore that to open it's own SM browser. I will look into that extension though. Thanks Everyone
/j

[Netscape/Mozilla/SM user since ~1996]
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

and with FF browser share falling off, it just seems like people aren't testing with it.
Well, people didn't seem to be testing specifically SeaMonkey even before recent reduction in Mozilla's user base. Sites would accept current versions of Firefox but fail to accept SeaMonkey when it was using the same rendering engine as Firefox. It's called browser sniffing and usually relies on the User Agent String reported to the site by the browser. If SeaMlonkey is not coded into the site as a valid, current browser, you'll see problems.

You might try changing the user agent string of your SeaMonkey installation so that it shows Firefox 60.0.1 and see if that let's you access those sites. https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to ... xtensions/
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi Dan - thanks - aware of that issue and it's not what I'm running into - more so sites that don't work great w/SM OR FF anymore
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this for info on posting a screenshot to the forum -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Ok - this is what google news looks like to me

http://imgbox.com/NuRQGXWP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm not seeing any of the anomalies that appear in your screenshot when I visit that site. Have you tried starting SeaMonkey in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Have you tried clearing the cache (Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Cache) and any cookies for that Google site (Tools->Cookie Manager->Manage Stored Cookies)?
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

I think that standalone extension was exactly what i was looking for - thanks!
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

I agree that I could do some debug to improve things, but I have had so many issues on various commerce websites with over-designed pages that clearly were tested only on Chrome, and worked only marginally with SM or FF. - as i said - it ain't right, but more painless to go with the flow.