Configuring a new account

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
terrathunderbird

Configuring a new account

Post by terrathunderbird »

I started using TB with my old Compuserve account. Now that Verizon bought them and is instituting a no-privacy-policy where they have reserve the "right" to correlate (how much of?) my personal data and do who knows what, I am ditching Compuserve.

Now, comes the problem...

Compuserve has always been the top account. Meaning the first at the top of the list of email accounts. I have several others, gmail, etc. Those were always below.

With Compuserve fading into my distant past, I now have other emails that take priority. Handily (thanks W!), I used https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... rs/?src=ss to change the order of the accounts to have my new (privacy-based) emails at the top.

So far so good.

BUT (and this may not be related to the folder arranging tool) now, when I compose a new message with one of the new accounts, two glaring things happen:

1. if I am sending another email to the same person, I used to just open "sent", hit reply, and TB would know that I'm not trying to send an email to myself. And it would put the previous addressee in the new reply, as well. BUT now with the new email accounts, it doesn't happen. Wondering if there's a setting that I can click to have it reply to the addressee not myself.

2. when composing a new email, I don't see the same buttons as I do with the Compuserve account. Missing are the formatting buttons for bold, to insert an image, etc.

3. in the new accounts, the option to change the "off line" settings doesn't show...I mean it's there, and I can see it, but it won't click for me...

Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Re: Configuring a new account

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Who is the provider of this "new" account?

2. Make sure that the account you are composing the message in is set to compose messages in HTML. Menu path Tools->Account Settings->click on "Composition & Addressing" under the name of the account in question->make sure that "Compose messages in HTML format" is checked.

3. To what "off line" settings are you referring? What menu path takes you to those settings?
terrathunderbird

It's a private email account that I bought from GoDaddy.

I checked HTML and sho nuf! there are all my formatting/inserting options!

To synch, I thought I had to check off the folders in the offline settings. I started looking for it when I realized that my emails that I'd already read were not showing as "read" (or "seen") when I logged on to the GoDaddy email portal to read my email remotely.

Here is the menu path I used for my many Compuserve folders:
file>offline>offline settings
terrathunderbird

Also, I just remembered... I'm wanting to stop myself from accidentally sending via Compuserve, without preventing Compuserve from sending me emails from my unused account. Is there a server setting I can change to still be able to receive, but not to send?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To synch, I thought I had to check off the folders in the offline settings. I started looking for it when I realized that my emails that I'd already read were not showing as "read" (or "seen") when I logged on to the GoDaddy email portal to read my email remotely.
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I'm wanting to stop myself from accidentally sending via Compuserve,
Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->at top right, click on the name of the Compuserve account and then click on the "Edit" button->change the server name field to some invalid value. That might mean changing the periods between the parts of the server name to commas. That will result in an error message any time you try to send using that account.
terrathunderbird

Here is what I'm seeing: http://imgbox.com/NI748qaW

Please note that there is no outgoing server option.
Last edited by terrathunderbird on May 29th, 2018, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terrathunderbird

corrected link above: http://imgbox.com/NI748qaW
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You didn't scroll down far enough in that left hand pane.
terrathunderbird

Geez. Thanks.

I got there, but it won't "take" commas. so I removed the server entries all together for both aol and compuserve. i sent test messages and they all went through, and came in through the compuserve account
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

but it won't "take" commas.
Where were you trying to use commas in that context?
terrathunderbird

Where were you trying to use commas in that context?

See what I'm seeing: http://imgbox.com/qbX93woU

Note that there's no longer either and AOL or a Compuserve outgoing server (AOL owns Compuserve), but if I do a test message from the Compuserve account, it shows up in the inbox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That screenshot doesn't tell us where you were trying to use commas.

As to why the messages are still being sent without a Compuserve SMTP server definition, it's probably because one of the SMTP servers shown in that shot is associated with the AOL/Compuserve account.
terrathunderbird

Thanks... For some reason, I figured it out. I'm not sure what I did, but it's no longer sending from that email account.

Next issue...the new GoDaddy-based email accounts are not syncing the Sent-folders. The inbox is syncing but not the Sent folders are not. Oddly, under File, the "offline" choice doesn't allow me to choose "offline settings" like the non-GoDaddy accounts do. And when I choose "download/sync now" and then "select" those email accounts aren't even shown. Then when I go to the "account settings" for those accounts, there's no selection for "Synchronizaction & Storage".

Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please don't post the same question in multiple topics. It just leads to confusion.
Locking this thread as your question is being addressed here -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3040425