Toolbar Text Contrast

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
baumgrenze

Toolbar Text Contrast

Post by baumgrenze »

First let me say that I am on:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
Build identifier: 20171016030418

Perhaps if I updated the problem below would no longer exist.

I've recently switched from a 19" Dell Trinitron CRT monitor to a 24" Samsung LCD monitor. Since the switch I'm finding it hard to see the menu items in the SM toolbars, I see pale gray on slightly darker gray. It is giving my aging eyes fits.

Perhaps this is controlled by Windows? If so, I am on Win7/Pro x64.

thanks,
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
baumgrenze

Re: Toolbar Text Contrast

Post by baumgrenze »

I see image posting here is more 'complex' than clicking on the Image icon and inserting a URL.

My image is at

https://www.flickr.com/gp/77932951@N04/2c3CuL

If you open it, note that the Menu bar is as I describe it; the Bookmarks appears darker in the Snip than it does now as I examine the top of the window now open.

thanks,
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
frg

Post by frg »

Which monitor model? If it has a TN panel see if you can compare it to a VA or IPS panel or just get rid of it outright. I am using a Dell U2415 and the image is fine. And I need glasses. Before I used a Eizo 21" Trinitron but the picture is now superior and I relly liked crt till the end.

Inactive menu items will be grayed out. Same for toolbar items. There were no changes done here recently I think.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

baumgrenze wrote:I see image posting here is more 'complex' than clicking on the Image icon and inserting a URL.
You just need direct URL to image (*.jpg):

First of all (manually) update SeaMonkey to latest version 2.49.3:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.3
... and check if it helped a little.

If not then restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode:
Menu -> Help -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled

Maybe you have some extension/plugin which is/are messing a little with menu/theme.
--
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

The Samsung is a S24A450bw. I believe the screen is TN. It is also a 'gift horse.'

I found an explanation on Trusted Reviews in a quick search. I will try to understand what is being said when I have more time.

I will look at the impact of the latest SM release later tonight.

thanks,
baumgrenze
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

baumgrenze wrote: The Samsung is a S24A450bw. I believe the screen is TN. It is also a 'gift horse.'
If your monitor is connected via DVI (digital) then it's OK, but if it is D-SUB (analog) then you need to install drivers for your monitor:
https://www.samsung.com/us/business/sup ... roductInfo

Maybe firmware update is required but such operation is risky and can damage your monitor if you're not skilled enough.

If you can then change monitor to one with VA (e.g. PVA, MVA) or IPS screen. TN in general is bad for eyes (much more than other types).
--
frg

Post by frg »

It is a pretty old screen. Just make sure you connect it via DVI-D and at the native WUXGA resolution. Drivers are usually not needed.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:https://www.flickr.com/gp/77932951@N04/2c3CuL

If you open it, note that the Menu bar is as I describe it;
Well, not really.

Your screenshot has been taken on an inactive window of SeaMonkey (I can tell by the colour of the titlebar) and in that mode the menubar text will indeed be grey. Click on the window, the titlebar will change to blue and the menubar text will return to black.

However, the 'Windows Classic' theme that you are using is well-known for its lack of contrast. I suggest you type Theme in the Windows 7 searchbox at the bottom of its Start Menu and change the Operating System theme to Windows 7 Basic or similar.

Alternatively, there are 3rd party themes that can be used for only SeaMonkey and nothing else, if you want to stick with that 'Classic' theme for your other programs.

Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with your monitor and that whole convoluted area of discussion is a total red herring.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with your monitor and that whole convoluted area of discussion is a total red herring.

What you said about the classic theme is true but I have also seen misadjusted monitors which can contribute to this too. Doesn't hurt to check if it is connected via DVI-D especially when most crts were using VGA or DVI-A only.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Doesn't hurt to check if it is connected via DVI-D especially when most crts were using VGA or DVI-A only.
Sure, but that monitor model provides only DVI and VGA inputs (and comes with just the analog cable in the box).

I could have explained all that, but I prefer to keep things simple and focused, if possible. It helps non-tech users understand what I'm saying for a start. Plus, the monitor side can always be checked later, if all else is exhausted.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks again to all for persisting with me.

I did install SM 2.49.3 and the screen remained the same.

The monitor is connected with a DVI cable. I just got the second one from monoprice a few days ago. The first one did not work. This one does. The system seems to boot faster with this monitor. Does that make sense?

FWIW, when the Title Bar was blue the Menu Bar remained the same.

I looked at Windows 7 Themes. When I selected "High Contrast White" the toolbars became much easier to read. Perhaps it is harder to detect an inactive, grayed-out bar. Does this make sense?

When I selected "High Contrast White" I noticed that "Screen Saver Photos" icon at the bottom of the page had a red bar through it. Can Screen Saver Photos be used with the High Contrast White theme?
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:When I selected "High Contrast White" I noticed that "Screen Saver Photos" icon at the bottom of the page had a red bar through it. Can Screen Saver Photos be used with the High Contrast White theme?
Yes, it can.

Just click that red bar and select Photos again from the screensaver menu that will appear and apply it. You can also change the Desktop Background the same way, if you wanted to. Then 'Save' this theme, back on the original page at the top, and you're done.
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Frank,

Thank you for all your help, more with Win7 than with SM, so it is above and beyond.
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:Frank,

Thank you for all your help
No problem.

At your leisure, might be an idea to also ask the 'gift horse' donor to check the calibration of your new monitor as well (brightness/contrast/saturation/gamma) It's probably fine, but these things are always worth checking.
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks for the suggestion about checking the calibration. I started using the Win7 tool and ran out of time for the immediate future.

I notice that sometime since I changed to the "High Contrast White" theme, my Quick-Launch bar no longer shows in SM. I see it with Word and Excel running. Years ago I noticed this was the case with Photoshop Elements 6 as well. I see a short SM toolbar to the left, Browser, Mail, Composer, etc.

I tried right clicking on the space to the right to no effect. In Word, an unoccupied part of the Quick-Launch bar and it opened the expected drop-down configuration menu.

I also noticed that the 'Search Box' for Google no longer shows; the cursor just blinks in an open, white field but words appear when you start typing, so it works.

Does this make sense?
Thanks,

Baumgrenze