How to disable the 'Check for updates' button on FX 52.9 ESR

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

How to disable the 'Check for updates' button on FX 52.9 ESR

Post by c627627 »

In preparation for the last Firefox version some of us will ever use, is there code to disable the 'Check for updates' button to prevent Quantum from being accidentally installed that way?
If anyone can post the code for this if it can be done, some 10% of all Firefox users today would be grateful.

EDIT: ANSWER thanks to morat:

• Use a text editor like Notepad to create a userChrome.css text file inside a CHROME folder created where your default profile is. userChrome.css file can be used for customizations.

/* Remove 'Check for updates' button */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");

#checkForUpdatesButton { display: none !important; }

If you have multiple profiles, global disabler for all profiles (both existing profiles and future profiles) is [thanks to Frank Lion]:
c627627 wrote:Use Notepad to open
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js

then simply change

pref("app.update.channel", "esr");

to

pref("app.update.channel", "esrDISABLED");

As you know, we will remain on Firefox ESR 52.9 because certain extensions will never work on any version beyond that. Do you see Mozilla ever issuing future emergency security updates to Fx 52 ESR, in recognition of the sheer number of users on it, or are we on our own, relying only on Antivirus and Firewalls going forward?

I saw no point in discussing non Mozilla alternatives before now, because actual Mozilla ESR on which old extensions worked was right there and available all this time, and still will be for one more final monthly security update in June of 2018.
But it is time to look at alternatives now.
What are they?
What is the current state of their plans to switch to Quantum based versions, how long will old extensions work on them if they work on them now?

In other words, specifically, Fx ESR 52.9 with end of June 2018 security updates is fully compatible with extensions that worked on pre-Quantum Firefox.
So the criteria is:

What alternative to Fx ESR 52.9 will have a minimum July 2018 security update and be based on pre-Quantum code so that pre-Quantum extensions can work on it?
Last edited by c627627 on June 25th, 2018, 6:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
Brummelchen

Re: How to disable the 'Check for updates' button on FX 52.9

Post by Brummelchen »

waterfox only, but that is not mozilla related.
allande

Post by allande »

This post shows addresses to block with a hosts file that may stop updating: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... wer-990275
Or, make sure to backup your profile and backup the program files \ mozilla firefox directory and then you could restore them both if an accidental update occurs.
Agreed that this forum is not the place to discuss pros and cons of Mozilla/Firefox forks. You know the names of the popular ones, on their forums you can debate their roadmaps and design choices. I suppose there is no harm in listing their names, but again any discussion of them might as well be on their own forums.
Basilisk, Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Tor Browser, Waterfox AFAIK this list doesn't provide any others which show life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... on_Firefox
And you can look for posts here, a user making their own build might post something there: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you allande.
I understand your link says that there is a nuclear option of using C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
to block:
127.0.0.1 http://www.mozilla.org
127.0.0.1 download.cdn.mozilla.net
127.0.0.1 aus5.mozilla.org
127.0.0.1 download.mozilla.org

However, I was hoping that there would be code to disable the 'Check for updates' button entirely, or at least its functionality.
I was hoping someone could chime in on possible code for that?

I 100% have Profile backups and that is sound advice.

EDIT: I just saw this, I assume there isn't anything else? Thank you Brummelchen
Brummelchen wrote:waterfox only, but that is not mozilla related.
Last edited by DanRaisch on May 31st, 2018, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post #3 in this thread split to Locked as non-responsive.
morat

Post by morat »

The id for the "Check for updates" button is checkForUpdatesButton.

Code: Select all

/* Firefox userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#checkForUpdatesButton { display: none !important; }
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
c627627

Post by c627627 »

This man ↑ is a help machine.
Thank you!
c627627

Post by c627627 »

As for the other thing. If Waterfox is the only browser based on pre-Quantum code going into July, do you really see the developer or developers coming up with security patches all by themselves?
In other words, this is a Mozilla question, were these people taking Mozilla source code, in other words Patches that Mozilla made, and then using those Mozilla made patches to base new versions of "their" browser like Waterfox.

If so, then how are they going to all by themselves be doing future Patching from scratch, from what I understand these other browsers were months behind ESR every time, so I never really understood why people abandoned ESR for them, but back to the original question, is there any kind of post on the forums that suggest that any future patches would be made independent of Mozilla, or do you believe it to be the case that now that Mozilla is done with Fx52, it's over for all non-Quantum based browsers?
frg

Post by frg »

Unless the forks coordinate they are probbaly dead or need to align the source with Mozilla sooner or later. Palemoon forked at 52 and I would find it hard to backport current code. It is still possible backporting 60 fixes to 56 but it is definitely work.

Mozilla now removes classic extension code almost daily and dismantles XBL/XUL step by step. At the same time they throw new technology at the wall, see if it sticks and tell everyone how great they are doing (market share does not reflect this). So I doubt anyone will be able to backport fixes easily after 60esr goes EOL.

Not a pretty picture.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I never looked at forks because official updated Mozilla ESR was always there... so look what appears to be happening now that official Mozilla is about to expire:
People abandoned Mozilla's ESR because they said they wanted to get used to it... but I just found out that Waterfox is switching to Fx60 base too.

Well Firefox 60 is Quantum. It will kill all extensions not compatible with Quantum. Well then this means that people abandoned Mozilla for nothing.
It clearly doesn't look like there will be anything that will have better patches than this month's Fx ESR 52.9.

If that's true, morat's post is the real solution, kill the update button to save the functionality of all extensions working on pre-Quantum Firefox.
toolong

Post by toolong »

If that's true, morat's post is the real solution, kill the update button to save the functionality of all extensions working on pre-Quantum Firefox.

The problem with that solution has been discussed here many times. Eventually, maybe a year, or a month, or a day from now a security issue will arise and, since the release is EOL it will not be fixed. Perhaps the issue exists right now?

Maybe you are experienced enough to remember when some websites would not let you on if your browser was 'out of date'? Or not an IE version?

It is your choice of course. Do as you wish but expect and prepare for the consequences.

Have a good day
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

As the Tinsmith said, be very careful with forks, they are not maintained like Firefox is for security. Don't give up on Firefox, don't give all the power to one browser, that's what always keeps me with Firefox, I like the Gecko engine more than other engines and Firefox Quantum, really brought Firefox back for many people who left it in the past, to try it again.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Some people choose old extensions over security, I don't know where to check but it appears that more than 10% of all Firefox users do.
Absolutely.

They will find out the hard way how long before access is cut off due to 'a no longer supported browser.'
But it will be years from June 2018, if past experience is any guide.

My computer is now disposable as everything is being backed up regularly in full expectation of losing everything, any time. It would suck if it happens, but loss would be limited to relatively few files created since last backup.

It is an irreplaceable experience to be in full personal control of a fully customizable actual Mozilla browser, not a fork. To be able to use extensions that will _never_ be compatible with Quantum. I would just maybe suggest to like-minded people a few months from now, to maybe start using another browser for banking connections.

But we will be good for years to come on ESR 52.9 before sites start cutting us off and then it will be mostly banking sites for which we will use another browser anyway starting next month... ;)
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Are you referencing Firefox or another browser?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Firefox Quantum, really brought Firefox back for many people who left it in the past
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally? :-k
https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser- ... 1000%22%7D
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
allande

Post by allande »

If you go to statcounter for april, browser versions, you can download data as a csv. Between Firefox 59 and 60 you get 8.25 percent. Firefox 52 has about 1 percent, so about 12% of Firefox users would be on Firefox 52. Some of those will be businesses using ESR for benefits other than old extensions, and some will be unable to figure out how to prevent an upgrade. Looking at the data a few months after ESR switches to 60 will be more informatiive. Also note that while Waterfox intends to base on Firefox 60, he claims to plan to use the infrastructure that remains in future Firefox for their private extensions (like pocket) to allow more powerful extensions - not necessarily all legacy ones, but to provide an alternate extension ecosystem - https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... _waterfox/